Chain welding

100 amps - piece of cake. 100k amps would be a bit of a challenge. First you get 100 microwave oven transformers ...

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Interesting. Mine has a solenoid which unlatches the blade holders to slide together -- or which draws them together. I would have to clear the space to open it up again to verify which in this case.

Unplug the unit and press the button, and the holders stay separated. (And yes, I think that they all are rather primitive -- but if that does the job -- who cares? :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

All the older ones I've used are mechanical in nature.

The one we had at my previous employer was really old from the way it was designed. On that one you set a dial to the insert position and put the blade in. You then dialed in pressure according to the blade width (there was a scale). It had three heat settings on another switch. Once all was set you pulled a trigger looking switch down (it was designed so that you pulled down and then your finger slipped off). You then hoped it had a good weld. This particular welder took a lot of experience to get a good weld with though it improved once I took it apart and adjusted the switch that broke contact once the blade holder moved. Once you had the weld you unclamped the blade and moved the dial to the tempering position (the jaws where farther apart) and then flipped the weld switch repeatedly till you got the annealing temp you wanted.

That one was mounted on a DoAll saw but definitely wasn't a DoAll design. It was much older than the saw was. The one I have now is built into my DoAll saw and my saw is a good bit older than my previous employers. On mine I set the blade in place and depress a lever. The lever both turns on the current and moves the clamps together at the same time. There is a current setting on it as well. Once welded you move the blade to the outside of the jaws which have a set back cut into them for the annealing witch is done with a push button on the welder.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

You just described my welder.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I thought as much. My Do All is a fairly old saw. The blade welder works better than the other one I used. On the other had I really need to take some time and overhaul the saw itself.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

Building a power supply for what you are talking about might be very doable. Maybe even tasking an old resistance welder for such work.

What I'm wondering though is has anyone approached this issue with a TIG welder? Especially for larger chain used in boating. Obviously it would be very slow compared to a resistance system designed for such welds, but you should be able to fashion any size chain in small lengths.

Getting penetration would be an issue but I would think your welds would be better than a resistance job where the ends just get squished together.

Any thoughts.

Reply to
David A. Frantz

When I was much younger my father worked at Campbell Chain and quite enjoyed it. Until the Campbell's sold it and the new boss wasn't so good... Now of course the Campbell name has had 30 years of change.

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler