chroming a ball bearing

I found that forcing a ball bearing thru a channel using an arbor press works really well for a certain project I am working on, to resize a passage.

It was something I thought of as an economical alternative to building a ball broach.

The size is 1.375, and I would like to open this passage up a few more thou, so I was trying to come up with a way to do this.

I had thought that I might try getting a few of these balls HARD CHROMED. My thought here would be the diameter would increase, and the hard chroming would be durable (?) enough for multiple uses. I know it will not be an exact process, so if I took 10 ball bearings in and had them all done, I might have have one or two that are sized just right.

I am not looking to debate the different ways to resize a hole, as for this particular project, broaching it works very well. Just need some real world, productive and positive suggestions as to whether hard chroming, or some sort of electroplating option would be a viable direction.

Thanks to all who help!

Reply to
rbce2003

Maybe worth enquiring if one is already available for the purpose in the size you require

David Billington

Hard chrome does work on brass and bronze, but might not work well on other materials. Depending on the run length, perhaps just lanolin alone would be enough. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

If the workpiece is aluminum, and you only need .002" or so, you could experiment with chilling the work. At dry-ice temperatures the elastic rebound may be less, and the passage will certainly be larger when it warms back to room temperature.

Reply to
whit3rd
35 mm = 1.3779 in. If you can find them, thats the right direction.

Hul

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
dbr