Chuck carrier pics

The carrier i made works pretty well. I set the track so i can use it for
both the lathe and mill, made a chuck carrier from an old sterring rack, the
rack teeth allow the lifting washer to engage wherever it balances best with
no slippage.
?action=view&current=MVC-030S.jpghttp://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd236/arborigine/?action=view&current=MVC-033S.jpg
Here is a job I am doing using a 9 inch face mill for some timing covers.
stuff
Reply to
Stupendous Man
Pretty nifty. I like the idea of the notches to allow balancing the chuck. I have long wanted to do something similar but the fear of some s**t for brains student deciding to see what would happen if you loosen the chuck in mid air has kept me from acting on the idea.
Errol Groff
Instructor, Manufacturing Technology H.H. Ellis Technical High School 613 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239
New England Model Engineering Society
Errol Groff
You could make a cradle/basket that would hold the chuck.
Dave
Reply to
spamTHISbrp
Is that overhead garage door track your using??
Is this something that could be done using a Bridgeport Series 1?
Reply to
James Lerch
Is your track short lipped c-channel or commercial hoist track? I sure like that.
Wes
Reply to
Wes
Thats the machine I am using. As for the track, it is a galvanized C-channel with short lips coming in from the edges. Got it from the left-overs when the welder on the next ranch moved, I don't know what it was intended for but it holds the weight. I bent the smooth curve by putting it cross-wise in the hydraulic press between pins and pressing down on it with an old trailer leaf spring. It took 4 presses to get the length I wanted.
Reply to
Stupendous Man
Neat!
Reply to
Don Foreman
I'd want a Weston brake in one of the blocks, so when they let go of the rope to scratch the chuck would stop in place rather than crash.
Reply to
Don Foreman
Is it this stuff?
or is it overhead garage door track?
technomaNge
Reply to
technomaNge
it is the 3300 on that page. Nice to know that the 100Lbs and less that i lift are well under spec even though I have it rotated 90 deg. I would be more worried about the 5/16 lag bolts into the rafters pulling than a track failure.
A weston brake would be nice, or a marine camlock, but with two double blocks even the large mill vise and rotary table are easy to hang on to.
Reply to
Stupendous Man
If you drill and tap the chuck for an eye bolt then that won't happen.
If you lift the chuck with a small sling around it, you can find the balance point of the chuck. Then find a spot under the sling that you can drill and tap with out damaging any working parts of the chuck. Then you never have to find the balance point again. Just screw in the eye bolt and lift with the crane.
Richard W.
Reply to
Richard W.