Chuck carrier pics

The carrier i made works pretty well. I set the track so i can use it for both the lathe and mill, made a chuck carrier from an old sterring rack, the rack teeth allow the lifting washer to engage wherever it balances best with no slippage.

?action=view&current=MVC-030S.jpghttp://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd236/arborigine/?action=view&current=MVC-033S.jpg Here is a job I am doing using a 9 inch face mill for some timing covers.
stuff

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Pretty nifty. I like the idea of the notches to allow balancing the chuck. I have long wanted to do something similar but the fear of some s**t for brains student deciding to see what would happen if you loosen the chuck in mid air has kept me from acting on the idea.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology H.H. Ellis Technical High School

613 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society

Errol Groff

You could make a cradle/basket that would hold the chuck.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Is that overhead garage door track your using??

Is this something that could be done using a Bridgeport Series 1?

Reply to
James Lerch

Is your track short lipped c-channel or commercial hoist track? I sure like that.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Thats the machine I am using. As for the track, it is a galvanized C-channel with short lips coming in from the edges. Got it from the left-overs when the welder on the next ranch moved, I don't know what it was intended for but it holds the weight. I bent the smooth curve by putting it cross-wise in the hydraulic press between pins and pressing down on it with an old trailer leaf spring. It took 4 presses to get the length I wanted.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Neat!

Reply to
Don Foreman

I'd want a Weston brake in one of the blocks, so when they let go of the rope to scratch the chuck would stop in place rather than crash.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Is it this stuff?

or is it overhead garage door track?

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

it is the 3300 on that page. Nice to know that the 100Lbs and less that i lift are well under spec even though I have it rotated 90 deg. I would be more worried about the 5/16 lag bolts into the rafters pulling than a track failure.

A weston brake would be nice, or a marine camlock, but with two double blocks even the large mill vise and rotary table are easy to hang on to.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

If you drill and tap the chuck for an eye bolt then that won't happen.

If you lift the chuck with a small sling around it, you can find the balance point of the chuck. Then find a spot under the sling that you can drill and tap with out damaging any working parts of the chuck. Then you never have to find the balance point again. Just screw in the eye bolt and lift with the crane.

Richard W.

Reply to
Richard W.