Classic Oil Can

Anybody know where I can buy one of the classic type oil cans (preferably with a half-pint or so capacity and made out of stainless steel).

These thing were commonplace when I was a kid, but no one seems to know what they are today.

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

Harry, are you talking about the type with the "oil canning" bottom that clicks when you press it -- and no pump, just a long thin nozzle out the top?

If so, our local Ace Hardware sells them in painted steel.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

If you want stainless, you will probably have to make your own.

see

The late, great Phil Duclos made a classic hemispherical oil can by spinning the shape on a lathe and this article covers it. He used copper or brass for ease of spinning. Stainless can be spun, but it might take a while to develop the skill.

Randy

Reply to
R. O'Brian

Thats the type Lloyd, but our local Ace Hardware store (the largest in the state) doesn't carry them, only the pump type.

As you can guess, I want it for oiling my lathe.

I really would prefer a quality one made of stainless, even to the extent of having it shipped over from Germany or Sweeden (silly as that may sound).

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

Thanks Randy, but between physics, electronics, programming, fireworks, and machining, by personal skills are already stretched thin enough without attempting to learn metal spinning! :-)

If push comes to shove, I'll import one from Europe and suffer the shipping cost.

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

The only ones that I remember are the brass ones. Never have I seen a stainless one. Steel, yes, but I wouldn't consider those to be stainless unless the chrome coating on them would be considered to be stainless.

Bob May

Want to buy one used? If so, go to

send me an email offline. I have collected oil cans for some years now and have several of the type you describe in various sizes. - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Grainger lists a Precision 05110 in a 12 oz size, 9" tall. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

AOL {:-) Actually, I have one of them. It was sort of a delayed part of the wife's dowry. The old man only had daughters and I was the most handy son-in-law.

plinka, plinka, plinka, plinka,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

On a related matter, I'm still trying to find a regular use for the nipple grease gun and old metho/kero plumbing tools.

Reply to
Terry Collins

eBay has everything. Local farm auctions, at least in the midwest, often have them, even Goldenrods are not un-common. Always pressed steel, but I have many antiques, from the little one ounce precision size to pint, and none have a speck of rust. I use them a lot, the one ounce size I keep on my drill press table.

Reply to
bw

Reply to
Jim K