Oiler - Oil Can

Ok... I have tried a number of different off the shelf plastic spray bottles. They all seem to fail in fairly short order. Some will work again if you (yuck!) suck on the nozzle for a second. Its like they lose their prime and won't self prime again.

I have noticed that the pumps in the commercial products (rather than the bottles bought as generics) seem to hold up better. I've got an old Meguiers clean and shine product bottle that has had a dozen refills of misc gunk through it and it still works ok. Currently its filled with vinegar and water for removing hard water and river gunk from my boat when I bring it back from the river.

The thing is I would like to be able to find a source for spray / squirt bottles with pumps that will hold up. I need to spray various things from oil to WD to cleaner and none of the pumps seem to last. I bought a gallon of WD and a bottle with their label on it about a month ago, and already the pump is experiencing lost prime and won't pump back up without a little help. If I set it down for half an hour and pick it back up it will have lost its prime.

Gack.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I have a bunch of the ones that Home Depot sells, under their own brand. I don't use them with oil but I have used them with commercial detergents that destroy any recycled bottle in about a week, and I've used them with bleach. (I don't leave the bleach standing in them, however). After about three years, I haven't had one fail yet.

Good ones are out there. Aside from that experience, I don't know where else I would look, but you probably can find ratings for the ones that are commercially available.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

The only other thing I thought of is to buy some cheap pneumatic paint sprayers and modify the nozzles as needed. If I need portable use an air storage tank. I'ld need a regulator on it too of course.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

They fail on me quickly. The ones from McMaster Carr seem to hold up better.

Reply to
Ignoramus9191

What do you put in them? I've sprayed a 30% lye solution, which is getting viscous and is hard to spray. At 40%, it's getting thick.

I've also left industrial detergent in them for over a year with no problem.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I've got a WD-40 sprayer that cam with a gallon tin of the stuff that has been working for probably 15 years. (Holy crap, I've had that thing 15 years?)

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

In the 1980s, maybe 86 or so. I ordered a gal of WD with the sprayer. Picture in the catalog (company since has been renamed) was obviously a metal sprayer, with trigger spray. The one that arrived was plastic. I was very disappointed.

Sometimes you can reprime them:

1) Squeeze trigger 2) Put finger snugly over the sprayer hold 3) Release trigger (you can feel the liquid being pulled....) 4) finger off sprayer, and try the spray trigger again

Sometimes you can restart balky fire department Indian tanks that way, too. BTDT. With Indian tanks, you thumb over the nozzle, pull the slide, and then release. Push the slide, see if you got any water.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Empty 20 oz. coke bottle, drill eight inch hole in lid, done.

basilsik

Reply to
basilisk

Now that would be a neat trick.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Those "sure shot" atomizers are a bit expensive but might work.

DOC

Something about beer...

doc

This is the best sprayer that I've found so far. It holds up better with most things. I've had vinegar and peroxide solution in one for more than 2 years before it started giving me trouble. Most sprayers would last about a month with that in it. McMaster has them as well as lot of other places.

Wayne Cook

That actually reads pretty good and they are honest about their sprayers.

How much are they and where can we buy less than 30 to the case?

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate The more you present a leftist with factual evidence that is counter to his preconceived world view and the more difficult it becomes for him to refute it without losing face the chance of him calling you a racist, bigot, homophobe approaches infinity.

This is despite the thread you are in having not mentioned race or sexual preference in any way that is relevant to the subject." Grey Ghost

Reply to
Gunner Asch

On Sat, 01 May 2010 11:37:39 -0500, the infamous Wayne Cook scrawled the following:

Cool, only about $6 a pop. I go through sprayers quickly with chlorine/water in the kitchen, so one of these would pay for itself within a year.

-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell