cleanup buggerred theads

I've got an axle and nut that I've managed to bugger the threads by beating on it too hard. It took a two foot pipe wrench and a four foot cheater to turn it off. Its about a two inch diameter by 20 TPI thread. I need to clean up both the axle and the nut.

Suggestions?

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Thread file, or something like this?

good luck

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Last resort use a 1/4 20 or any tap with a 20 tpi and work it aroung the buggered thread if its not too bad. A broken tap will work fine. This is one reason for saving them.

If you have a little time you could make a holder for it.

John

Reply to
john

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 01:48:49 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Karl Townsend" quickly quoth:

Buy a new nut, Karl.

Two simple ways to clean up threads are the thread chaser bars (Enco, $6.69 on sale)

the external thread restorers
"chaser"...and the right size for you costs _only_ $241 and change.

Next time, file or grind a taper on the buggered section of axle before you try to remove the nut so you don't damage -it-, too.

- Metaphors Be With You -

Reply to
Larry Jaques

OD:

I have the OD one and it works great. Made in Israel.

Shalom.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

So, will it work on goy threads?

Reply to
Grumman-581

Strap sez:

"> Next time, file or grind a taper on the buggered section of axle

Yeah, do that. And use a 6-sided die for the nut.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney