Combining 2 golf cart motors

This is for a 2Front 1Rear 1,500 lb hybrid trike. The engine is on one side of the driving wheel (rear). I want 45 mph and 20 miles on batteries.

For weight balance and for space, I cannot use the 2 motors shaft to shaft.

How 'bout this idea on how to connect 2 Golf Cart motors?

Connect 2 motors side to side using 2 sprockets and a chain. motor(:::::::::::::::::)motor

On the motor nearest the sprocket that needs to be driven, mount another sprocket and connect the output using that second sprocket and a chain.

(:::::::::::::::(::)::::::::::::::::::::::)wheel

Has anyone on this list done it this way?

I am looking for 2 hunking motors with driveshafts. Anyone?

BoyntonStu

Reply to
stu

I have not done that , but it should work. However if I were doing it, I would use a overriding clutch so that one motor can drive the wheel without the other motor turning. Should give you a little more miles per charge if you can cruise on one motor and use two for aceleration. It does mean that you only have one for dynamic braking.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Dan,

You are the man if you can tell me where to find an overruninning clutch with 100 lbft and 2,500 rpm capability at a reasonable price.

What have you done?

BoyntonStu

Reply to
stu

BoyntonStu

Would both motors be producing 100 ft lbs of torque?

The drive in a diesel truck starter would probably handle 20, maybe 30 ft lbs. (low cost prototype parts)

Look at "TDK Motorsports web site" in the Internet. They have info on 60 ft lb overrunning clutches in their article.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Martes

Though not designed for 2500rpm, the sort of clutches used on "dead pto" tractors are rated for that kind of torque. AND, because you're not really dealing with the full rpm, but only the differential speed of the two motors, they just might work!

And aNOTHER thing! They're cheap. My last one for my old 8N was only $40, or so.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Thanks guys. I checked the PTO clutches out and they might be OK. The TDK guys use one on a dyno at over 10,000 rpm, but it is not continuous.

Here's my application and my requirement:

I will have a jackshaft that drives the 18" rear wheel of a 1981 Kawasaki 550 GPZ motorcycle.

Driving the jackshaft is the 65 hp engine and/or a pair of Golf Cart motors or another hunking dc motor.

The Kawasaki is rated at about 40 pound feet.

If the engine is off the gear case is unlubricated it will heat up and it will burn the gears.

If the engine is driving, why spin the motor(s)?

I'd like to freewheel or at least engage/disengage both powerplants. Any dog clutch ideas?

If the rear wheel is spinning at 1,000 rpm and if the sprocket driving ratio is 1:3, the jackshaft will spin at 3,000 rpm.

Always open to new ideas.

Boyntontu

Reply to
stu

BTW What's inside a PTO overrunning clutch? Sprags, or?

BoyntonStu

Reply to
stu

They click when they overrun, so it's probably spring-tensioned dogs. Although I've never challenged it, that probably also means they slam into engagement.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Reply to
carl mciver

Spinning the motors is not a problem. It is the engine and its transmission that needs to be idle either by an overrrunning clutch or with an engage/disengage mechanical clutch.

Do you have any ideas?

BoyntonStu

Reply to
stu

Have you looked at

at their clutches? They have a few of all kinds there, and since you know your torque and RPM spec's, you ought to be able to see if any of them will work.

Have you considered taking a basket clutch from a motorcycle and trying to adapt it to fit your needs? The speeds and HP it can handle are pretty decent. For top dollar, you can also use basket clutches from race cars, or even a standard automotive clutch.

Reply to
carl mciver