Titanium aluminum (Ti3Al)

I just heard of this material for the first time today. It's used in vd coatings. My buddy needs to cut hocky puck like slugs from a round and I hear it's difficult. Is there any way to cut it without a wire EDM? Does anybody have cheap EDM time available?

I'm still trying to talk him into doing a TiN coated saucier pan for me, I think it would start a trend!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I don't know about 3al titanium, but 6al 4 va Ti is likely to be a stronger tougher alloy. And I do know something about it. Very much like Stainless Steel. Work hardens quickly and is strong. But is machinable on a lathe. Also can be cut with a saw. I have used a hacksaw on it, but a cut off bandsaw would likely be the best solution as far as speed and cost of machinery and material lost by the cut. Do they have a problem with using coolant?

The swarf will burn, but machining is not really a big fire hazard. I would not let a lot of swarf collect where it could be ignited from something.

If you grind on Ti, you get very white sparks.

Dan

Tom Gardner (nospam) wrote:

Reply to
dcaster

Reply to
jerry wass

Jeez, when I was a kid, we just used latex condoms. Things must have gotten tougher!

GWE (grinning)

Reply to
Grant Erwin

vd stands for "Ventrified Docilium" and its rate of growth is measured in furlongs per fortnight.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

"Tom Gardner" wrote in news:VVPOe.975$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net:

It's probably Ti-3Al-8V-6Cr-4Mo-4Zr. Tough stuff. Turn around 85-160 SFM with carbide insert tools depending on depth of cut. It will cut just fine on an EDM.

Reply to
D Murphy

:-) :-) A very good example of not defining your abreviations the first time you use them. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick