Edison's tilting cross-slides

Visited Motown recently and spent a few hours touring the machine shops in Ford's Greenfield Village.

Ran into a fellow HSM at Edison's shop so that's the one I enjoyed the most. We puzzled over the workings of the dynamometer, and he came up with what seemed to be a good enough explanation for me and his wife. (What could be better than having a wife interested in measuring horsepower *and* accepting your explanation.)

Anyway, what caught my eye while checking out the machine tools was that only one lathe had a compound - and it was immense, considering the size of the machine - but about half of the rest of them had pivoting cross-slides: a hinge point at the front and a screw to elevate the rear.

Is this news to anyone else but me?

At the Armington & Sims shop I learned that 'grease monkeys' were originally the 12 year olds that climbed up to clean the overhead shafting. Teddy Roosevelt signed laws limiting child labor to farms and shop owners weren't about to pay 14 year olds to do the job, so they installed disks that travel the length of the shafting to remove the crud. Still, it fell on the machinists' heads and that's why all those guys in the 'Bull o' the woods' cartoons wore hats.

Dick Hamm Nashua NH

Reply to
rohamm

Fascinating. I think I remember reading that they wound up using sort of bent fiber washers hung over the shafting. The washers just vibrated around and freed up all the gunk, which -- as you said -- fell straight down.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

twice as big as the shafting) the O.D. was 2 or 3 times that. Their natural motion was to slowly run to one end of the shaft (or pillow block, and then naturally reverse to the other end--fun to watch, the first time..

Reply to
jerry wass

Anyone remember putting a leather strap on their bicycle axle to keep it shiny?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

But of course, who didn't....50 years ago!

Bill

Reply to
BillP