Cool stuff at Greenfield Village

I took my son and nephew down to Greenfield Village in Dearborn near Detroit, MI today. There's a lot of neat stuff, including the 1900 era machine shop with running line shafting power (not from the stationary steam engine, unfortunately) and the rail roundhouse with locomotive maintenance underway.

The nephew got to make a little brass candlestick on an old turret lathe running off the line shaft. In addition, there were several planers, a shaper, lots of old horizontal mills, lathes, and boring machines.

The roundhouse included a walkway under a medium size loco with about

5' or 6' drivers. All the throttle and valve linkages were visible from the underside. Fascinating stuff.

We also went through Edison's Menlo Park shop (more machine tools) and lab and the Wright brother's bicycle shop. I'll have to go back, we didn't even get to the museum. Unfortunately, nothing was going on in the blacksmith shop. Maybe it'll be open in the summer.

I recommend a visit if you're within driving distance of Detroit. It'd fit in well with a visit to NAMES.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III

JR North

I heard that Ford actually took the *dirt* from around edison's original buidings, and sent it along with everything else.

Why anyone would want to import dirt from New Jersey is anyone's guess!

Jim

jim rozen

Only dirt from northern Jersey has that special smell....

gary

Reply to
Gary Owens

Reply to
George

Hey Peter,

Happy New Year!

You DEFINITELY must get back to see the Ford Museum too. And a second trip around the Village is well worth it. The blacksmiths they use at the shop next to the Cotswold Cottage vary a lot in skills and knowledge I've noted, so you may well not have missed much yet.

Take care.

Brian Laws>I took my son and nephew down to Greenfield Village in Dearborn near

Reply to
Brian Lawson

JR North snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com

If ya'll wouldn't be so thoroughly imbued with the acronym swmbo (former swmbo, current swmbo, future ....), that would be kool. Frank Morrison

Reply to
Fdmorrison

Took junior there about five years ago. Did you ever see a twenty four year old looking at that big loco, just standing there with his jaw hanging open, same as the six year old beside him! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

I think I was too busy doing the same thing :-) My two most vivid recollections were that huge steam locomotive used for hauling stuff through mountains and the HUGE generator with the massive flywheel that went down into the ground.

I was curious and did some digging just now. The museum has a web site & a picture of that locomotive:

George

That engine was one of the largest ever built. Used for hauling iron ore from the Missabi range, IIRC. Most of the power related equipment in the museum is still operational (was up to a few years ago, anyway). Ran on compressed air instead of steam. Detroit Edison (?) employees trying to get their Operators License had to test on it. A few years ago, a museum volunteer (retirees who helped maintain that equipment) was demonstrating how he had to hand oil the journals on a big piece and got out of sequence. Reached in the wrong place and was decapitated. Fascinating place, the museum. Had a fire a decade or so ago. Lost a couple acres(!) of teak flooring. No drains. Looking at some of the wooden bed planers and early Gleason gear generators was always a treat. ALong with the Mercedes Mille Miglia roadster with it's magnesium body and straight 8 that hit 10k revs.

Reply to
Karl Pearson

The highlight of my visit to Detroit for sure... the only one :o). Greg Sefton

Reply to
Bray Haven

Hey Greg,

What, you missed Hitsville, USA??? Studio "A"!!! The $50,000 glove?!?! The Joe Louis fist? The Bridge? The Tunnel(s) to Canada? Harbor Freight? You'll have to come back!!

Take care.

Happy New Year.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Yes I'm afraid I missed those, but I did see where they nabbed Hoffa :o). I will go back, if only to spend another day or 2 at Greenfield. Greg Sefton

Reply to
Bray Haven

Hey again Greg,

Hmmm.. I thought they closed the Machus Red Fox some time back. Is it >>Hey Greg,

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Don't know, That was some years back. GS

Reply to
Bray Haven

Building is still there, but it's an Andiamo's now (Italian food). It's a fairly good restaurant, there are a few of them around the area, but nothing to make a special trip for.

That you could miss.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Amaranth

maybe he wanted to be sure that any "artifacts" moved with the building? --Loren

Reply to
Loren Coe