Way cool science stuff

A bit slow on dialup
Subject: This is very cool
The Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida has put up a very
interesting Java applet on their site. It begins as a view of the
Milky Way
Galaxy viewed from a distance of 10 million light years and then zooms
into
towards Earth in powers of ten of distance. 10 million, to one
million, to
100,000 light years and so on and then when it finally reaches a large
Oak
tree leaf. But that is not all . It zooms into the leaf until it
reaches the
level of the quarks viewed at 100 attometers.
GO TO:

This is a fantastic representation of how magnificent the Universe is
and
how vastly infinite it is both in the macroscopic and the microscopic
level.
" ..The world has gone crazy. Guess I'm showing my age...
I think it dates from when we started looking at virtues
as funny. It's embarrassing to speak of honor, integrity,
bravery, patriotism, 'doing the right thing', charity,
fairness. You have Seinfeld making cowardice an acceptable
choice; our politicians changing positions of honor with
every poll; we laugh at servicemen and patriotic fervor; we
accept corruption in our police and bias in our judges; we
kill our children, and wonder why they have no respect for
Life. We deny children their childhood and innocence- and
then we denigrate being a Man, as opposed to a 'person'. We
*assume* that anyone with a weapon will use it against his
fellowman- if only he has the chance. Nah; in our agitation
to keep the State out of the church business, we've
destroyed our value system and replaced it with *nothing*.
Turns my stomach- " Chas , rec.knives
Reply to
Gunner
I used to show the movie,_Powers of Ten_ by Charles and Ray Eames to my physics classes. They made that film about 1977. The couple were true Renaissance people.
Larry
Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote
Great post. Thanks.
Russ
Reply to
Russ Meredith
Very cool indeed. Originally this was done by Charles and ray Eames, in their 1977 film "Powers of Ten" Although not as nicely and smoothly as the one in your post, the enire sequence can be seen at
You have to click on each individual step manually.
Abrasha
Abrasha