Am I SOL here?

In my ongoing quest to make my imported 52" shear really handle 16 gauge steel like it is supposed to, I just purchased blades for what appeared to be the USA version that the Chinese copied. An obvious difference those and mine are the rake that was ground into them. Now my problem is that the holes don't match. Is there any way I can drill new ones in the blades or am I SOL?

Reply to
Terry Mayhugh

Don't drill new holes in the new hardened blades, drill new holes in the Chinese shear.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

You can drill through some _very_ hard materials with certain masonry drills. At work I sell Relton GRT series drills. They have a neutral rake angle (as opposed to severely negative, as with *normal* masonry drills). They're sold in yellow tubes. Not sure about other similar products though...

Do you know what your new blades are made out of? These drills can probably handle just about any tool steel (shear blades are usually in the low to mid

50's Rc, IIRC).

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Have you tried?

Gunner

" ..The world has gone crazy. Guess I'm showing my age... I think it dates from when we started looking at virtues as funny. It's embarrassing to speak of honor, integrity, bravery, patriotism, 'doing the right thing', charity, fairness. You have Seinfeld making cowardice an acceptable choice; our politicians changing positions of honor with every poll; we laugh at servicemen and patriotic fervor; we accept corruption in our police and bias in our judges; we kill our children, and wonder why they have no respect for Life. We deny children their childhood and innocence- and then we denigrate being a Man, as opposed to a 'person'. We *assume* that anyone with a weapon will use it against his fellowman- if only he has the chance. Nah; in our agitation to keep the State out of the church business, we've destroyed our value system and replaced it with *nothing*. Turns my stomach- " Chas , rec.knives

Reply to
Gunner

Hey Terry,

EDM them, or laser or water cut. But would it not be easier to do the holes in the shear back plate to match the holes in the new blade. Especially if you are trying to correct something.

Take care.'

Brian Laws>In my ongoing quest to make my imported 52" shear really handle 16 gauge

Reply to
Brian Lawson

I'm going to drill the shear to match the blade. Thanks to all for your suggestions. Can't believe I didn't think of this myself.

Reply to
Terry Mayhugh