Cutting Sheet -- Was I asking the wrong question?

OK, so I'm looking for a low-ball shear, because I want to cut out some panels, make one cruddy right angle bend in each one and drill some holes, and assemble them into a 'U' shape. I'm starting to think that this'll be cheaper to do in house than to farm out, particularly at first when I'm making little engineering changes on every part made.

So it seems that all the itty bitty iron working machines from Enco, Horror Freight, and Wholesale tools top out at 20 gauge mild steel. I don't know why this is a magic number, but there it is. I may just spring for one, knowing that I'll be abusing it by cutting thicker material, but I hate doing that.

Without jumping up from $200 to $2000, is there a tool that will make a nice straight cut in a 1/16" sheet of mild aluminum?

Initially I think I'm going to buy a $20 brake from Horror Freight and use a reciprocating saw to cut out the panels, then use a file and elbow grease to clean up the cut.

Can a power nibbler ($50 from Harbor Freight) make a straight cut, or will it be a waste of $$?

Your opinions, please.

Thanks.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I like nibblers but they are slow, noisy and operator dependent for quality, but a plasma cutter works a treat with a guide and a little practice. It induces very minimal heat and will cut an almost perfect edge that only light sanding with a flap disk makes perfect and it is fast. I just bought a very light, 40 amp inverter plasma torch and love it. It uses wall power and compressed air and you can carry it around on your shoulder. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

A table saw. For 16ga material, sandwich the aluminum between two pieces of Masonite or other sacrificial material. A saw sled will give you something to clamp the sandwich to and make the operation much safer, and will help if exact size and squareness is important, especially on large pieces.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Ned Simmons fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I see that, and raise. A table saw with a good carbide blade will cut everything up to 1" aluminum plate without difficulty. I rough-cut 6061 plate all the time on mine.

It's unpleasant work, though. Wear long sleeves (buttoned up), heavy eye protection (full mask), and be prepared to earn lots of tiny blisters from hot chips. (don't wear gloves around rotating equipment)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Same here. I use a Freud non-ferrous blade and stick wax for sawing plate, but most any blade should work for light sheet stock.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Why not buy a used shear?

Near California? Ill sell you a 52" hydraulic Pexto shear for $800.

Gunner

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich

Reply to
Gunner Asch

For bends not more than a few inches, you can get by with some bits of hardwood, a vise and a mallet. I've made lots of elex boxes and chasses out of 1/16" ally (16-gage) with neither a brake nor a shear.

Reply to
Don Foreman

That's a good deal for what it is, but I'm not $800 sure that I'm on the right track -- I'll spend time dressing my cuts with a file until I am, and maybe I'll call if I think I'm going in the right direction.

It's not worth a special trip down to LA from PDX, but by June I should know, and my brother will most likely be down for the Roadster Show. I may get in touch with you then, he could easily toss it on his trailer.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'll see that and raise you, Lloyd. Ear protection as well. I don't bother much with it in the shop, but that is one noisy operation.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

build your own brake, etc.

also see

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

The brake is no problem to build, but I can't argue with $20 from Harbor Freight when I'm going to be driving right by it tomorrow.

The shear is stumping me for the moment, although I think I can work around it at the cost of more time, until I either convince myself that I need to pony up to get one, or I can afford to buy sheared blanks.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I had trouble cutting full width on the 30" CM machine but it's OK with smaller pieces. It should handle 12" pieces of 1/16" aluminum without frequent readjustment.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I take it that you do not own a table saw?

Do you know some one that does? If so, buy a blade and borrow the use of their saw.

I'd let you use mine if you were near by.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Hi, Tim:-

If you have the room etc. I suggest finding a used 48" + shear (eg. Brown-Boggs). Make sure that the blades are in good shape all the way across, and that the clamp works (otherwise you'll get angled cuts).

Grizzly sells a Chinese knock-off 52" shear for $995. Not sure how good they are, but they'd have to be disastrously bad not to work on

1/16" aluminum.

I don't want to devote the space to that, so I have a smaller shear (a

12" one that cost around $200 6 or 7 years ago) and get the metal supplier to roughly chop the 4'x8' sheets into narrow (eg. 10") strips, but I mostly do prototypes in-house and send out production to CNC metal guys (a bit expensive, but the parts arrive all perfect and clean and without hassles). Plus the machine is light enough it can be slogged around.

Grizzly has this similar one for around $300 at your door:

Or a 30" one for

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

This sounds like a really good deal.

Shears are quiet, quick, generally leave edges you can leave as-is, and the bits left behind are relatively pleasant compared to the alternatives (no metal cuttings flying around to short things out).

BTW, shears cut like scissors, one end of the blade starts to cut first, so the peak force required does not increase with cutting width (beyond a few inches). That's why clamping is important.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I got one of these for $5 at a garbage sale, a year later i used it. Works fine but not on thin material. I had to tighten the allens holding the lower blades before it would cut. works great on 1/8 aluminum.

Stupendous Man

O.K.

Because they can use less cast iron and steel to make one than one for 16 Ga. And that extra weight costs money to ship from China (which is where all of these you listed come from.)

The DiAcro shears and brakes are designed for 16 Ga. steel -- which just happens to be 1/16" thick (accident of the numbers more than anything else. :-) They are no longer made (I believe) and you don't want to pay the new price for them anyway.

How long a cut do you need to make? How much room do you have? The 24" brake and shear (I have one of each) are easier to find than the

12" ones, though if you haunt eBay for long enough, you can find the 12" ones.

I'm not sure where you live, but here are a pair of them (you can bid on only one) DiAcro Model #3 -- eBay auction 150300285414.

The reason that it matters is that these are pickup only, no shipping. Location is: Homestead, Pennsylvania

They *look* like 12" -- but they might be smaller. Contact the seller and ask -- if you live close enough. He is asking $800.00 for both, or $400 for one (or best offer, and there are two offers already with four+ days to go. If you have a choice -- go for the one which has the cross-bar painted white, as that has the auto hold-down clamp to keep the workpiece from moving during the cut.

Not your $200.00 -- but certainly not your $2000.00 :-)

There's a #2 (9" cut) on eBay auction #280269874972 Looks nice -- but probably too small for you. Buy-It-Now, $449.99

24" shear -- eBay #370089012888 -- $875.00 -- Buy It Now.

All of the above shears should do 16 Ga steel.

O.K. Your elbows will get plenty of exercise. :-)

Which kind? The kind which is mounted on an electric drill type of motor with scissors fingers, or the kind which is powered from compressed air and cuts out crescent-moon pieces of metal from the workpiece?

I'm not sure about the first type -- since it is made for cutting curves. The second type could work held firmly against a piece of angle iron clamped to the workpiece. Clamp the whole thing to a heavy table, make sure that you can press hard against the angle iron without toppling it, and then cut with the nibbler held firmly against the angle iron guide. Note that in steel these produce nasty cuttings, because each has a sharp point on each end, and there are jillions of them made in a single cut. Aluminum may be a bit less aggressive, but still cut over a wide spread set of papers or a tarp, especially since you can't use a magnet to pick up the pieces.

It would have helped if you had put the model number of the nibbler, so I knew what sort you were talking about.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

How about a power shear?

{keyw=ord} I used to use one on 16 gauge mild steel. Of course the straightness is up to you. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

You didn't tell us anything about width of cuts and depth of bends you want to make. That would make a difference.

I bought one of the Harbor Freight Beverly-like shears a few years ago and am very happy with it. I shear up to 16 gage mild steel with it. If you mark your work out well, you can do nice straight crisp cuts. The neat thing about this style of shear is that you can do curves well, too. It ought to do alumimum like butter. They are about $150.

For a cheap quick bending brake, make one from a piece of angle iron. Example: You need to make approx 90° bends in a sheet that's 2 feet wide--- Take 6 feet of 2 1/2" X 2 1/2" X 1/4" angle iron. Cut out one leg of the middle foot. Now make a "hairpin" shape, heating (with a torch) and bending that center section into a loop. This give you the basic brake.

After getting the basic shape, I opened mine back up so I could bolt it to a bench with countersunk bolts. Then I heated it back up and rebent it to shape.

To use it. insert the part to be bent from the back side, apply C clamps to either side of the work and pull down, using a soft faced hammer as needed. You can see that this isn't going to make professional bends on heavy stuff, but it may fit your needs.

If the idea sounds useful but the construction details don't make sense, email me off list and I can take a picture and put it on my website.

If you are going to go with an undersized brake and "abuse" it, try to get a C clamp with a deep enough throat that you can clamp at the middle of the machines clamp bar.

Pete Stanaitis

Reply to
spaco

I clamped together a similar one from two 40" lengths of channel, ][. The sheet goes between the pieces with the bend line along one side. It wasn't neat enough for painted aluminum window trim so I rebuilt the channel into a brake. Then I found a real Tapco to borrow.

Hammering on the flange tends to expand it slightly and it may be visibly curved after you unclamp it. It helps to have an extra practice piece or two.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins