What does the current economic crisis mean to US metal industry?

What's happening at the grass roots? Outlook?

I think its far too soon to tell.
One should note that while the stock market dropped some 500-700 points that day..its already starting to go back up
so far, any losses have been paper losses for most investors.
Me..Im stocking up on canned goods, reading material and stockpiling fuel.
Im already good to go on ammo, etc etc..."just in case"
Gunner
"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich
Gunner Asch wrote:

Know any good deals on 7.62x51 NATO?
Jim Stewart wrote:

I just got some of this, haven't had a chance to shoot any yet.
<http://www.centuryarms.biz/products.asp?cat &pg=2>
About half way down the page, if you buy 1200 rounds, $510, shipping is free.
David

There isnt any. It all went to the Sandbox
Now 7.62x54....its pretty cheap by the spam can and fits a Dragonov nicely
Gunner
"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich
On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 20:16:54 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch

Sportsmen's Guide has non-corrosive Wolf Military Classic 7.62x39 for my SKS at $99/500. Corrosive Romanian in a spam can is $117. All are steel, non-reloadables. Have you bought brass for your SKSes before, then reloaded?
Maybe Jim can stretch this stuff to fit. <g>
- If the gods had meant us to vote, they'd have given us candidates. --------------

I used that corrosive 7.62x54 ammo a lot and still have some left. It is corrosive indeed. However, by now that ammunition is very old and gives plenty of duds. Okay for range practice, but not so good for any real life "situation". I would say that my practice was 10-20% of duds.

Awesome. maybe you can fire a round into a plugged barrel next.
Cydrome Leader wrote:

It would be metalworking at least....

Unless you are firing from a fortified position, you are not going to get to shoot that much before being taken out by the government.
Now ammo would be an excellent barter item though.
Uncle built reloading dies for a 50/70 or some sort of odd cartrige recently. Sounds like he has a buddy with an oldie that wants to touch it off.
On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 17:56:16 -0400, the infamous Wes

Speaking of oldies, a couple years ago, I went out to the range during the Machine Gun Shoot day and one guy had built a matchlock rifle out of an old Vulcan barrel. He cast the 20mm lead balls himself and "touched it off" with a rope of real hemp. He got lots of interesting looks from the folks downwind, myself included. I ended up shooting the thing. Great fun "plinking" with a 20mm instead of a .22! The second-long time delay with the fuse and the flashpan was a kick, too.
I'm wondering when it's going to be illegal to shoot the soft-tipped Wolf ammo here in Oregano. They're already illegal in CA due to the lead content, I believe.
- If the gods had meant us to vote, they'd have given us candidates. --------------
On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 16:56:36 -0700, Larry Jaques

It must be a real bummer to have to go back to DU :-)
Mark Rand RTFM
On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 23:36:36 +0100, the infamous Mark Rand

Yeah. <g>
At least that depleted Uranium is safer than the DREAD TOXIC _lead_ stuff. Oh, my! <shudder>
- If the gods had meant us to vote, they'd have given us candidates. --------------

Can you cast that stuff at < 1000F? I actually googled a bit but melting temps didn't seem to show up. (Not really considering it, just curious)
Wes
I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch
in rec.crafts.metalworking :

    For most B-)
    It wasn't the market hiccup which sent the price of WaMU down another 90%. That was good old fashioned Corporate Screwups (with help from the Government).     Nothing from Washington will help now.

    Hmmm, yep. sounds good. I'm unpacking reading material - could use some of that for heat in a pinch.

    Just a case. -- pyotr filipivich "I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender whether they served zombies he said, Sure, what'll you have?'" from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries

Well we are dumping people and working 32 hr weeks next month.