GEAR CUTTERS!!!! - Who was asking?

At the Ally Pally show, the firm RDG TOOLS were selling 14.5 PA 20 DP gear cutters (Myford type) for 12-50 ea. (100 for a set of 8!)
I was going to buy a set, but SWMBO whom I had taken along for a day out (She did end up buying a set of wood planes from that Frenchman) asked if I was actually going to use them in the foreseeable future, and despite having planned to look for a set, I made the mistake of passing them over!
One of those impulse buys one regrets walking away from!
These people have web site www.rdgtools.co.uk [usual discalimer] I bought some stuff for my myford - half price compared with M's list price. Change wheels especially etc. Their web site is due for an upgrade next week or more stock on it according to Mr RDG himself who I spoke to
The funny bit was that seconds later standing by the myford bits was Messrs Moore [Father & Son] of myford, looking somewhat po-faced! They spoke to RDG .They obviously knew one another. Perhaps Myford will reprice in face of competition? [not?]
Myford only do few shows and have an open week at the same time as Donnington. I know from speaking to GLR that stands at these shows are quite expensive , several 100's . Not much in it if you only sell spares at a few each.
Mike
At the Ally Pally show, the firm RDG TOOLS were selling 14.5 PA 20 DP gear cutters (Myford type) for 12-50 ea. (100 for a set of 8!)
I was going to buy a set, but SWMBO whom I had taken along for a day out (She did end up buying a set of wood planes from that Frenchman) asked if I was actually going to use them in the foreseeable future, and despite having planned to look for a set, I made the mistake of passing them over!
One of those impulse buys one regrets walking away from!
Deciding that what I really wanted was a pair of wheel and pinion cutters for my clock (Alec Price's "Half-sized Turret Clock", EIM, Sept 2000 et seq); rather than beating about the bush in order to derive ways of making such cutters, that I ought to bite-the-bullet and just order them, having been farting around for a couple of years in pursuit of similar, but without success. (Yes - this project's been a long time in the genesis - I purchased the metal for it three years ago after speaking to Mr.Price at the one of the Shows and seeing his completed clock, and then speaking to Mr.Price again at the same show a year later!)
This I did so, and got excellent service from PP Thornton - a telephone order was promptly delivered, and they spare the time to discuss at length the nature of the cutters, even though no sale was guaranteed.
BUT!!!!! 115 for two cutters, each of which turn out to be the size of 3 X 10p pieces, when one could buy a complete set of 8 involute cutters for 15 less, and get a lot more metal for your money!!
WOW!
(No reflection on PP Thornton implied - as I said above, I recommend them for their prompt and polite service!)
Oddly enough, it was the presence of the series of articles for that clock that got me to subscribe to EIM, but see other thread about too many magazines!)