Ignorance about gear cutters please help!

I noticed some gear cutters on eBay and wondered how they were used.
Some have what appear to be a taper shank on them and others are similar
to horizontal arbour milling cutters, but not!
One of the taper shank types is item number 130077714939
and one of the other types is item number 130077974259
and a thinner type item number 130077720295
From what I can see they would have to be used in some form of shaper
setup to cut like a form tool, but not even sure if the middle one would
do that.
Can someone more knowledable please explain to me how they would work as I
only know how to use standard gear cutters in the lathe or milling
Many thanks
Reply to
Adrian Hodgson
Loading thread data ...
"Adrian Hodgson" wrote in message news:ypmdnYuZeYfD snipped-for-privacy@mersinet.co.uk...
130077714939 is for a Fellows gear shaper with a socket ram
130077974259 is for a Fellows (type) gear shaper
130077720295 is for a Fellows (type) gear shaper
formatting link
The ram holding the cutter reciprocates vertically and at the same time rotates at the correct turns ratio to the blank, and the two are brought into 'mesh' bathed in cutting oil until the correct depth of cut is achieved. The gear is effectivesly shaved to size and typically a stack of blanks will all be cut at the same time.
Always wanted a Fellows gear shaper but they are VAST - still I'm looking at a house at the moment with a potential 2000 sq foot workshop
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
Well if you fancy a Drummond Maxicut 3A or a spline hobber just get in touch.I have a pdf of the manual for a 2A,the 3A`s the same but bigger. Mark.
Reply to
Andrew thanks for the information, nice to become informed along the way.
Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.