Please help explain my ignorance

Beginner so be patient. Started my first real project. Welding a frame for an electric vehicle. 1 by 2 by 1/16 mild steel tubing. Welding with Dynasty 200DX. Started with magnetic clamps holding the parts. The arc was all over the place and unstable going off and on. Tried a piece of sheet metal and it was fine. Took off the magnetic clamps and it was fine. Obviously the clamps interfered with the arc. Any explanation would be appreciated. Was this really stupin on my part?

Dynasty 200dx DC

65 amps flow 15cfh argon

Thanks

Barry

Reply to
BP

if you ever watch a show where they do fabricating like monster garage or american chopper you will notice they only use those magnetic welding clamps only for tacking and when they are done tacking a piece together and making sure everything is good o go the remove them and finish welding it up. what I have seen of different ppl using them work great and save alot of time having to go back readjusting the different parts and breaking it apart to weld again plus it will hold together quit nice with spot welds placed about

2-3 inches apart till your ready to finish weld plus some advice i have been given is its faster to grind off a spotweld if you make a mistake than a whole weld after your done
Reply to
badaztek