More on pumpkin knives

Last year's advise on pumpkin knives was spot-on. Thanks.

My recipe was to use the wood cutting blades from the SKIL big-pack of blades available at HD. These are long blades with pointed end, smooth ground sides and good open teeth. The Bosch variable rake wood blades looked good to, but were not pointed. 6" sections of cast-off broom handle were chucked in the Atlas 10F for 1/2" epoxy holes and a few grip rings. In order to seat the blades deep enough so epoxy grabs at least 2 teeth you need a hole about

1" deep. In order to hold the blade in place while the epoxy set, and to act as a binding point for the epoxy, I put a wood screw in sideways, as a set screw. With the set screw lightly contacting the blade, the blade will not fall over while the epoxy cures. One package of "6-minute" is enough for 3 knives. In 30 minutes the stuff is pretty hard; in 2 hours it is rock hard. Run the epoxy across the end of the handle to seal it. The technique is jab and saw, not cut like a knife. The blades are smooth sided (be sure to get that type) so the cuts are clean and sharp. Since there are no long sharp edges, these specialized knives are OK around children 3 and older.
Reply to
frank

Years ago, I discovered that a light saber saw with a metal blade was just the thing. Yes, I know; it feels like cheating, but it sure as hell gets the job done quickly and (so far) with zero blood loss.

Anyone tried CNC or other exotic methods?

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn

I just did two pumpkins, one with a sawzall and one with a dremel. I resisted the temptation to try the chain saw.

W.P.

Vaughn wrote:

Reply to
Pete C.

I've used a sabre saw for years. One can create amazingly intricate designs after some practice.

I have though about using my mill, but I've been at a loss as to how to get a hold of it in my vise. Does one use a one-flute end mill? What about lubrication? My Machinery Handbook says nothing about feeds and speeds for vegetables, but it was published in '42 so doesn't contain info on more modern materials.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

Vegetables are "more modern"?

I'll guess that vegetables existed when your handbook was published.

Reply to
Jon Grimm

Sure, they existed, but how many people were trying to mill them?!?!? Back then, milling veggies was daring new territory, doncha know!

Reply to
Don Bruder

I go the "low tech" route. Take and old worn out hacksaw blade and wrap electrical or duct tape around part of the blade for a handle. Snap to a length that suits you and grind down the back of the cutting portion of the blade to make tighter turns or more detail. Grind point on the end to make jab cuts and you are done. If it breaks you don't have to worry - just make another.

-Dean

Reply to
Dean

I find that the pumpkin just vapourises as soon as I hit the switch. Do I have the force turned up too high?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Speaking of pumpkins check out his Pumpkin Chunkin

A very interesting project.

Reply to
Phil Stein

A dremel or a RotoZip does a credible job.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Where can I get one of those light saber saws? I wonder if they are on the California assault weapon list?

Gunner

"The Democratic Party is the party of this popular corruption. The heart of the Democratic Party and its activist core is made up of government unions, government dependent professions (teachers, social workers, civil servants); special interest and special benefits groups (abortion rights, is a good example) that feed off the government trough; and ethnic constituencies, African Americans being the most prominent, who are disproportionately invested in government jobs and in programs that government provides.

" The Democratic Party credo is 'Take as much of the people's money as politically feasible, and use that money to buy as many of the people's votes as possible'. Tax cuts are a threat to this Democratic agenda. Consequently, Democrats loathe and despise them." -Semi-reformed Leftist David Horowitz

Reply to
Gunner

You don't need one. A true Pumpkin Knight just uses the Force.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

AHHHHH!

Indeed.

Gunner

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it is easier to harrass rich women than it is motorcycle gangs." - Bumper Sticker

Reply to
Gunner