New drill 1100 W @ 230 V

Hi everyone, as the subject line implies, I got this drill recently and works like a dream:-) It's chinese, of course, and of a brand I've never heard before, is not pneumatic but a traditional percussion drill. I hardly ever operate it at full power (it has an electronic triac drive). It cost 27 euros, from makro

a cash & carry chain in Greece. My previous 2 were genuine Black & Decker, and although they cost more than 75 euros each, I smoked both (literally) this year, how strange that a no name chinese brand is better! (I have put it to drill everything possible, including 15 " @

3/8" of solid beton, all kind of small holes in solid beton without any problems with common off-the-shelf tungsten carbide bits, the very cheap ones like 70 cents each. I didn't even need the special blue "extra hard" bits, which I had specially purchased for my Black & Decker, which without them couldn't bore a hole in a ceiling, to hang lights and ceiling fans. Conclusion: don't underestimate the Chinese!
Reply to
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

Nearly 1 1/2 HP input... sounds useful! Cheers, Roger

Reply to
Engineer

We have a lot of cheap Chinese SDS drills in the UK now, at that sort of price. They are very popular, and at that price, you don't need to worry too much if you get caught with a bad one, although I don't hear many stories of bad ones.

One thing to be aware of though is that such drills may not have a safety clutch. A powerful SDS drill, unlike a less powerfull conventional drill, doesn't just stall when the bit gets jammed. Depending on the bit, it either snaps it, or the clutch slips if it has one, or the drill body spins. If the drill body spins it can do you some serious damage; dislocated wrists are not uncommon, and a friend of mine ended up in ER having stitches in his chin after one spun and whacked him in the face. The more expensive and more professional SDS drills all have safety clutches, but a cheap one in inexperienced hands can be a recipe for an accident, particularly if you are unaware of the hazard.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel