Silicon & Corrosion

Before, whenever I spliced any wires that required shrink tubing, I always soldered and used shrink tubing that had a salve like substance inside the
tube, and there was never a problem with moisture or corrosion. I can hardly find this type shrink tubing anymore, and what I did find was cost prohibitive for the little I use. I'm wondering if after soldering, apply some common silicone sealer and slide the tubing over it and shrink it. Should keep it sealed, however, is there something in the silicone that would corrode the solder connection?
Many thanks for any help. Lee.
--
www.lightningnews.com Lightning fast anonymous usenet downloads for 5$ only !

Your local auto parts store sells silicone dielectric compound in small tubes. It's used on plug boots and external wiring connectors. Rocco
Lee wrote:

As has been mentioned, the goo is widely available: http://www.google.com/froogle?q=silicone-dielectric-compound&scoring=p&price tween&price1=1&num0

Yup. The common solvents are Acetic Acid and Ammonia. Both are corrosive. There *are* special silicone glues for use with metals: http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.design/browse_frm/thread/ec9b4ba50815ec78/6f3b94760e8f7d11?q =*.for.sealing.connectors+Neutral.Cure+RTV162+got.all.gray+acid+generic-tube-*-*-*+Dow/Corning-*+not.self.leveling+Non.Acid+never-hardens+sensor-safe+zz-zz+qq-qq+messy+suitable-for-*-*-metals
Anal Lube ?