Making silicon

I need silicon for alloying with aluminum (most often around 10% Si content). Was thinking of reducing sand, but since carbon needs an arc furnace, and a thermite reaction won't work very well (all the products are about the same density, unlike iron or copper-bearing thermite where the product is dense and settles out), I was thinking of a more indirect method.

Combining sand with molten metal doesn't work because even if I could break the oxide layer between the grain of sand and the metal, it would immediately re-form (with the little silicon produced dissolving in the metal) and stop. A flux is needed, and salt seems to keep the oxide mobile (if not necessarily in solution). By mixing aluminum, salt and sand in a crucible and melting to around 1600°F, I've got reasonable results after a few minutes, but I don't know how well the reaction is going. I've tried to assay the metal, but the silicon superstructure is too tight and the aluminum dissolves slowly (with muriatic acid).

Tim

Tim Williams

How much Silicon do you need?

Try looking at eBay with the search term "Silicon wafers"

Reprocessers can sell it to you in lots of 10,000lbs (or so....)

Bruce

Reply to
beaiii

Maybe 10-20lbs. More later.

I don't need 99.9999% purity, nor the cost it brings. Makes good collector's pieces though.

Eh, a little much...

- Brown silicon would work fine, with a little flux to stir it in. Don't know where to get that either though...

Tim

Tim Williams

I can sell silicon in that quanity (its 99.999 and may be a bit pricey) but....

It this the forum to discuss price/shipping or do we need to start emailing each other?

Bruce

Reply to
beaiii

LOL , I've yet to figure that one out myself. They won't EVEN talk to me unless I buy a train car load ! Someday I'm going to get just pissed enough and drive out to them just to tell them that I think it sucks ! Tube problem not silicon.

Problem with driving is that "they" say what I want is in 3 different locations 500 miles in 3 different directions from here. Need a plane and hit all three in one day. For some sand. :o)

Reply to
Sunworshipper