Silicon properties

Hello Group,
i like to know somthing about Silicon.
the max temperature it can whitstand: my nollage says 300 degrees celsius for a short period.
and the max continuasley heat my nollage says 100 degrees celsius for a long period.
is that right?
Best regards Sren

"Soren_M" wrote in message

Silicon, the element, is quite tough.
I've just applied a butane-propane torch to a polished silicon disc (25mm diam, 1mm thick). It withstands 900+ deg C (dull orange heat) and immediate quenching in water a few times does not shatter the disc nor mar its finish.
I suspect that the application (thickness, shape) will determine its ability to withstand heating, but 300deg C. should not be a problem for any but the most peculiar of shapes.
Regards;
-James Garry (of course, silicones would be an entirely different matter....)

Hello,
i am using the silicon rubber tuching the sides of a normal household lighting bulb at diffent watts from 40, 60 to 80 Watt.
The silicon rubber need to take the heat from that, for normal period burning time.
I dont know the temperature of the surface og the glass bulb.
regards Sren
Soren_M wrote:

^^^^^^silicone?

Michael Dahms
Soren,
According to my McMaster-Carr catalog:
Ordinary silicone rubber has a maximum temperature of 260 C Translucent & transparent variety of silicone rubber have a max temp of 232 C "Reinforced silicone rubber" has a max temp of 204 C "FDA silicone rubber" and "medical grade silicone rubber" have a max temp of 260 C
All of these should be safe for light bulbs. I can hold my hand on a 75W bulb for perhaps 1/4 second before it becomes painful, and do not get any burned skin, so it seems comparable to hot tap water, between 75 to 90 C more or less.
Mark

Dear mark,
Thank you for your good ansver.
best regards Sren Momsen

Gldelampes overflade temperatur?
Dear group,
how hot is an normal household lighting bulb at the surface? (not CFL)
40 Watt?
60 Watt?
80 Watt?
100 Watt?
best regards Soren M

If you insulate it with silicon rubber it could get very hot indeed.

dear David,
i like to make an open structure around the light bulb, i hope this is possible.
Best regards Sren M