NAMES photos

Arrived home from Toledo safe and sound on Monday evening. Barely. You may have heard the expression that flying is hours of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror. Driving can be like that too.

We were coming across Interstate 84 in New York state when we got trapped in the passing lane by three ENORMOUS oversize trucks traveling nose to tail. I don't know if something fell of one of the rigs or perhaps it hit a chunk of metal and kicked it into our lane but in a heartbeat we had a blown tire on the right rear of the van. Terri was driving and did a masterful job of keeping the van under control and getting us off safely to the side. We called AAA (roadside service) and while waiting for him to arrive I couldn't stand it and had the tire changed by the time he arrived. But it wasn't a fools errand for him as the were at least two and maybe as many a four other disabled vehicles, victims of the same chunk of debris.

We found a Sears store of the next exit and in less than an hour had a new tire mounted and were on our way again.

I had a great show!! Met many fellows from a variety of news groups and BBSs. So nice to put faces to names the we see on the web.

Anyway, on to the pictures. The still photos are up on pages and the video clips will be coming along soon.

Also to come are photos of the Armington and Syms machine shop at Greenfield Village at The Henry Ford, photos from the Air Zoo Aviation museum in Kalamazoo Michigan and photos from Steamtown in Pennsylvania.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology H.H. Ellis Technical High School

613 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society

Errol Groff

Hey Earl,

Glad you had a good time, and I hope Terri did too. Maybe next year we should have a Saturday seminar for the "better half" visitors. Any suggestions as to content? Maybe have Laura Miller demo her ME skills?

The electronic valve engines in the last few shots are the baby(ies) of Dave Bowes, who now resides in Peterborough, Ontario. His web page and a bit more info at

And I still can NOT believe that you and Wes and I were all at the same show!! How could I not have seen about 30% of the stuff shown in your many many pix?!?!?!? 3 days a year is just not enough time I guess!

Take care.

Brian Laws>Arrived home from Toledo safe and sound on Monday evening. Barely.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Thanks for the pictures!

Say, that single piston vertical engine with the square-looking cylinder. () What's that? Really square piston? Steam?

About the electronic valve-motor (EVIC): Here you can read a lot more:

Thanks for sharing! Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

I am working on the Greenfield Village pictures tonight but will add the lint to Dave's webpages so that others can read more about his excellent work.

Errol

Reply to
Errol Groff

Thanks for the pix, Errol ! It was good to see you at NAMES and share a bit of conversation. I did not see anyone else that posts on RCM. That could probably be my own fault as I did not wear a name tag. I did see Brian Lawson at a distance but he got away through the crowd before I could catch him.

Photos from the recent NAMES show are up at:

Processing of video clips will begin tonight and will be added as soon as possible. In addition I am looking forward receiving photos from some of our other members who attended the show and will, of course, post them as they are received.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

conversation. I did

I did not wear a name

before I could catch

Well, I managed to meet Errol finally. Wished I had managed to run into you or Brian but, hey, it is a start!. It was cool seeing Errol pass out machined whistles to a couple of kids while we were talking.

I don't know how I missed that one. I really wish I had got a picture of it. Well, I've got yours Errol, thanks :)

Wes

Reply to
Wes

At last, a photo of the rare, endangered 'Steam Engine Tree'!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

The video clips are complete and up on the web page. Thanks for your patience.

Errol Groff

Reply to
Errol Groff