Notice about Peter Grey

Hi Everyone - This is Peter Grey's wife, he posted here regularly and talked to me about this newsgroup frequently. Unfortunately Peter passed away last Thursday after battling cancer for the past eighteen months. It was a long and arduous fight and we was incredibly strong throughout. I wanted to pass this along because he enjoyed the discussions on this newsgroup so much. Forgive me if I've violated any newsgroup rules - this is the first time I've ever posted to a group in my life. The Memorial Service will be held this Saturday, 9/15 at The Century Club in San Francisco, at 2pm, for anyone interested, and we're asking for donations instead of flowers to go to The Grey Family Fund at The San Francisco School, 300 Gaven St, SF, CA 94134. Email me with questions. BTW - we have a 12 year old Peter had begun to teach welding to and a garage/machine shop he inherits that eventually I'll need to find an instructor for him to be able to use.

Reply to
Vicki Grey

Please accept my most sincere condolences for your loss. He will be missed and I appreciate you taking the time to let us know what happened.

On Sept 6th of 2006, which was apparently a year ago to the day of his passing he posted a message saying that he and his 11 year old son had just finished work on a "finger engine" where your son had used the mill, lathe and drill press and had a blast! He was asking for suggestions for more projects appropriate for kids.

If you would like to read that post this link should take you to it. It's the first message at the top of the page:

If I were not on the opposite end of the country I would be honored and delighted to help with your son's continued education.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Vicki, I haven't been on rec.crafts.metalworking for very long, but you have my condolences and prayers.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

My condolences, and sympathies to you and your family.

I am sure he will be missed.

Thanks, too, for taking the time.

Respectfully,

Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Vicki, please accept my condolences. How sad. Peter will be remembered.

igor

Reply to
Ignoramus3635

I'm sorry for you and your sons loss.

[snip]

It might be helpful to post your general location to the list to see if someone is nearby to act as a mentor should your son want to continue in Peter's interests.

You have my deepest sympathies, the loss of a loved one is never easy.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

My deepest condolences. I believe Peter and I did some business a few years back and I enjoyed meeting him when he came and visited. A very interesting man

We discussed in private email his illness once some months ago, and he was positive in outlook.

Im damned sorry his lost the fight.

My prayers for you and the rest of his family.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Vicki Grey wrote in news:1189488839.357073.322130@

57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com:

Please accept my condolences for you and your son's loss. Peter will be missed.

Reply to
Anthony

Hey Mrs. Grey,

My condolences to yourself, your son, and family and friends. Peter was surely one of the "good guys" on this newsgroup.

Keep your spirits up, and if it will do any good, I'm sure anyone here on this group would be pleased to have your son make any "machining" questions through yourself. I bet nothing would make Peter prouder than his lad following in his hobby footsteps.

Again, my sympathies. I will make a small donation in Peter's memory to the San Francisco School.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

"Vicki Grey" wrote

BTW - we have a 12 year old Peter had begun to

Peter wrote about experiences with his grandson. Things I think his grandson will treasure.

The world needs more Peter Greys.

My condolences.

Reply to
SteveB

It is with profound sadness that I read this posting.

Peter and I had shared some very interesting emails in the past, and was, indeed, one of the most decent of people on RCM. He was most proud to show me pictures of some of his accomplishments on his machines as his skills improved. He had developed into a fine craftsman with a great deal of pride in his work. Surely, it represented the fine man he was. My sincere condolences to you and the young lad.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Mrs. Grey,

You have most certainly not stepped outside of any sort of etiquette or propriety with your posting- in fact, it is uncommon decent of you to let us know because each of us here understand the importance of guiding a young person in a skill which catches their interest.

Please accept our condolences and know that both you and the young man he was teaching are welcome here any time. I know it's not worth much today, but know that Peter has performed an act of great goodness and your post indicates that he gained that which is worth most in the world: the respect of a woman and a boy.

John

Reply to
JohnM