COMPLETE VICTORY over the transformer!

I spent a whole day messing around with the transformer.

The first disappointment was that even at the lowest count of turns tap, the transformer would put out 511 volts, which is way too much.

After some frustrated thinking, I realized that I could pull out the outer winding a bit and tap into it with a split bolt.

After a little bit of work with a calculator, pulling the aluminum winding a little bit, trip to McMaster Carr, putting everything together and applying Noalox, I ended up with a transformer with a more suitable turns ratio on the secondary.

The output from the transformer is 476 volts, which is pretty good.

After a little bit of tidying up, I took a picture.

I now have a nice 45 kVA transformer, with a nice 60A disconnect on the output side, a nice "hi quality" input cable etc.

I am SO FUCKING HAPPY, like someone else would be with a Mercedes Benz car.

I immediately went on and tested the 460 volt 3 ton coffing hoist, which, no surprises, worked great like it is supposed to.

Ignoramus17720

Your custom unwinding and tap modification on the transformer voided it's UL listing. Be sure you only ever have it powered when you are testing something, if it were to go poof in the night and burn your building down, your insurance would likely not pay.

Reply to
Pete C.

How is going to go "poof"? It's encased in a steel box.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Does a dry type transformer actually have any combustible materials?

Ignoramus8679

One caught fire in the transformer vault at my highschool one summer. It powered the newest wing of the school, and you could still smell it, two years later.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Be very carefull.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Exit stage right may be outside Iggy's knowledge base also

Karl

Reply to
karltownsend.NOT

At some point, I did not even know what a "third base" was. But I knew how to get there.

Ignoramus8679

In the fairytale version Door 3 may be hiding a hungry tiger.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

How do you suggest that they fill a dry transformer with oil?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Ok, so you could see it well enough in the "vault". I thought a big installation like that would have the same type I have on my pole. Maybe because my high school had 3000 students.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

You f****it: he's suggesting that it *wasn't* a "dry type transformer" in the first place.

What the f*ck is wrong with you?

Reply to
Chrissy Degeer

Also, I never watch TV.

Ignoramus8679

Confusion from literary allegories can be dangerous in diplomacy. When a Russian quoted the line about horses and men pressed together from Lermontov's "Borodino" to imply a confusing situation it took us a while to figure out what he was talking about.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

So true!

Ignoramus8679

Not even, boyo. That was Bachelor #1, Bachelor #2, or Bachelor #3.

It was Let's Make a Deal's winners who got to choose between the doors.

-- It takes as much energy to wish as to plan. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ned Simmons

By the way, we are having a lively discussion about this transformer, at mikeholt forums.

Ignoramus8679

So what? Ours was about half that size and had three transformer rooms, one in each wing. The transformer that failed was two years old, and the largest on campus. It took Westinghouse six months to built the replacement, and have a crane brought in to place it into the vault.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yup, I saw that....

--pretty sure there's an old uncased transformer I salvaged from an old welding machine some years ago that's still kicking around here someplace myself....

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT