Compound angles

Been struggling with this for a while now.

Having a rectangular block I want to mill a groove whose bottom direction is inclined to all sides at angles A, B & C (angles measured in the planes of the sides of the block).

If I am correct the first two steps are:

With the sine vice jaws vertical clamp the block rotated in the vertical plane of A such that top surface makes angle A with the vice base plane.

Tilt in the vertical plane the sine vice jaws to angle = atan (tanB x cosA)

Now comes the part I can't figure out. I need to set the vice base at some angle in the X - Y plane (a function of C, A and B) to the X axis of the mill. What is this function?

Help, corrections much appreciated.

John.

Reply to
Machinist60

"Machinist60" fired this volley in news:hvnjc4$1ms$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I believe you need compound miter settings, such as you will find for making depressed picture frames in carpentry.

Compound settings adjust both angles interactively to come up with a "corner angle", and a "slope angle".

For instance, if you wished to cut a frame for 45-degree sloping sides with 90-degree corners, you would NOT merely set the saw for 45-degree tilt and 45-degree angle, or the joint will not match up correctly.

See below, how that angle would actually require to be cut:

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Don Foreman