Compress the spring in my SUV Door?

I had to put new door pins in my SUV "blazer" the other day and in doing so needed to remove the spring that you see just below the door pins. Anyways the spring is 3" long and very tough to compress, I've been able to compress it in a vice but how to I compress it to put it back into the door jam? I've tried

1) Compress the spring with vice and tie down with wire but I'm not able to leave any part of the end open to do this since the spring starts to arch in that direction if I do.

2) Tried to compress it with large pliers but then I can't get the pliers and spring into the door jam?

IDEAS?

Reply to
HotRod

Threaded rod, nuts and heavy washers with small notches cut to give clearance to wire the spring once you compress it.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

HotRod wrote in article ...

There's a correct tool specifically for this job.

I know! I know!

You don't WANT to buy the tool for a single job......

....so, go ahead and cobble it together. When the spring hits you in the face, the method you used to set up the booby trap will be of little matter.

You MIGHT try borrowing one of those small-engine valve spring compressors with the knob that slips in from the side.

Reply to
*

actually I don't mind buying the tool, I just didn't know it existed. I have a valve spring compressor but that doesn't help me get it into the door jam. I am afraid of taking some teeth out on this project, I feel like I'm handling a firecracker with the fuse lit.

Reply to
HotRod

I've ordered a GM spring compressor. THANKS

Reply to
HotRod

Reply to
JR North