convert air compressor to IC engine

Just a little by the way, I made my Quincy compressor run in both Run-On-Demand, as well as Constant Run mode. It is switched by a DPDT switch.
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Quincy-340-Compressor/04-Continuous-Run-vs-On-Demand/
In reality, I need constant run only when I am sandblasting, which is rare.
Wayback in the 70s, I had a small 2HP electric air compressor that I wanted to convert to gas engine power. This pump was nothing like a Quincy, just a 2-cylinder, single stage pump (reed valves in the head).
The parts were available from Campbell Hausfeld, consisting of 2 pneumatic control valves, and I believe they were referred to as an unloader, and a governor (no connection to the engine throttle). I got a new Techumseh 5HP engine (Small Engine Distributors, in the midwest USA) to replace the 2HP electric.
I don't think the idea was to vent the pump's full displacement air to atmosphere, but it did prevent the tank pressure from increasing until the tank pressure dropped to a point where it needed to be increased. It made a lot of hissing noise out of two small (maybe 1/8" ports), so maybe it was venting the pump air.
A Quincy distributor/parts dealer should be able to provide the correct parts to ensure that the setup is safe and operates efficiently.
--
WB
metalworking projects