Convert water cooler to TIG water chiller

There's a working water cooler out by the dumpster at work. I'm thinking that it could be converted into a tig water chiller without much work. Cap
off the spigots, put a small submersible fountain pump in the water tank, filter on the outlet, and plumb it up.
Anyone ever do this? What kind of algecide would I want to add to the water?
It probably would work but I would put it to its original use as a water cooler and get more out of it. Those long hot summer days require a lot of nice cold water for my own cool downs. I made a cooler from a hanging type refridgeration condenser (evaporator?). It is about 18" x 12 x 12 and is totally enclosed with a shroud and grill, and complete with a nice quiet cooling fan and control panel. It has 6 passes of copper tube in aluminum fins, with the copper being 5/16" in size. Enough of the coil was extended out for attaching fittings that were needed. Other than cleaning out the internals of the tube and attaching the fittings, it was basically a plug and use item . I just circulate the water over and over, and have not had a requirement for any algaeside, which may or may not grow in a sealed system.
wrote:

Visit my website: http://www.frugalmachinist.com Opinions expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.
I built a water cooler from a stainless tank of about 10" x 14" x 20" that I found but the main issue was the pump. I have WTC20-12B TIG torch and on speaking to weldcraft the said the pressure requirement to ensure adequate flow were fairly high > 20psi IIRC. Mains water pressure or in my case I bought a bypass pump. I don't think your usual pond pump would be suitable. The manufacturer should be able to give you details of required pressure when asked as weldcraft did. I don't use algecide but do change the water occsionally as it does appear to change character. I do use antifreeze to prrotext the system from freezing. I queried if this was OK with weldcraft and it is and they said that some people in real cold climates, not the UK, use neat antifreeze IIRC.
Jim Stewart wrote:

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 21:14:34 +0100, David Billington

Use Propylene Glycol "R. V. Water System" type antifreeze (also sold for cars as a "Safer" alternative) if you have critters at home (dogs, cats, birds, etc.) that might get into your shop and sample the leaks on the floor - Ethylene Glycol is rather toxic (and very dangerously deceptively sweet tasting), Propylene Glycol is pretty benign.
And read the mixture charts on the bottle before you go straight antifreeze, you get the best freeze resistance and heat transfer with a roughly 50/50 antifreeze to water mix.
--<< Bruce >>--
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700

That was the reccomendation I got from the manufacturer of my pump when I had to rebuild it. They said that some automotive antifreeze products have additives that are very bad for bronze geared pumps. I can't verify that it's true but I did have to replace the gears in my pump within a year after putting Zerex in the cooling tank.
Richard Coke
a little anti-freeze, water cooler capacity(refer wise) is less than 12,000btu (or 1 ton of refrigeration effect). 4,000 to 10,000 Btu's most common. for extra capacity a storage tank ,or a condenser coil, even a A- coil could dissipate heat. Now the TIG guys can give you more info on what the TIG generate in heat, and what temp is ideal for the torch head.
tt clueless near stlouis

You need 50 psi water pressure to get the water through the head.
You can buy just the pump and build your own water cooler with a 5 gallon water bucket.
These guys sell the pumps direct
Depco Pump Company 2145 Calumet St Clearwater FL 33765 Phone: 727.446.1656 800.446.1656 Fax: 727.446.7867
Business Hours: -Monday thru Friday 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM ---Eastern Time
Tell them you are interested in the constant pressure gear pumps used for welding water coolers.
I understand they have an Italian brand that works very well called Fluido-tec.
I'm no expert, but the commercially made cooler that came with my tig welder has a modest size tank, a heat exchanger with fan and a pump. No chiller, just a water to air heat exchanger. I use a 50:50 mixture of distilled water and automotive antifreeze -- since my shop is not heated most of the time. Been working fine for half a dozen years.
Mill