185 water cooler?

I just got a 185 lincoln tig and I am wondering if I should pop for a water cooler? I plan on making bicycle frames, tables, try some cooper stuff. etc. Is there a primer on DIY coolers? How do you get a PROCON pump dialed down from 130 PSI to 60?? On 1/8" mild steel how long before the torch gets too hot to handle ? 1 minute? Thanks, G

Reply to
me

Water cooled torches are a lot nicer to work with. As Dennis mentioned in the other thread, the torches are smaller, the hoses and cable is smaller and more flexible and I really like them.

The way I have regulated pressure down is by putting an overpressure valve right after the pump that dumps into the return line back to the reservoir. I put pictures of a cooler I built along with a plumbing diagram in the dropbox

under trch_cooler. It's not a work of art, but it works fine.

Good Luck, Bob

Reply to
MetalHead

Dont Procons have a pressure regulator? All three of my loose ones do..as does the one on the Bernard cooler. The Lincoln Magnum on the Tig 250/250 is a RV pump with a regulator

Gunner

Gunner

Nice machine

Bike frames are very thin wall tube so the torch doesn't get very hot. Copper takes twice the amperage of steel so the heat goes up real fast.

These guys sell the pumps for around $85 - $115 depending on which pump you want.

All you need to complete the water cooler are the brass fittings, an electric motor and a 5 gallon bucket. No radiator or fan is needed for work under 300 amps.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

soda carbonator pumps are easy and cheap to get on Ebay. I got a 1/4 HP dayton motor for $35, and a stainless carbonator pump for $30, sometimes they sell it as a package and many time even with pressure regulator.

5 gallon homedepot bucket w/lid $5 ? 4Gallon of distilled water $4 1 huge copper terminal block at the local wlding store to connect the power /water out hose $14 1 standard 110V light switch, and a 1" RED indicator light , to remind me that the water is turned on.

that is all youn need mount the pump on the top of the 5 gallon bucket/ bolt it to the lid, my motor came with rubbe gromets and an aluminum backing plate as a bonus.

optional: I run a "T" fitting on the pump outlet and let about half of the water volume dump back into the bucket, this release pressure and load on the pump. water outlet hose is connected to a "clear" larger diam hose , which gives me visual indication of tha amount of water exiting.

the whole system sits on the bottom of my welding/ tool cart

the whole ting cost me about $100, works flawlessly.

if I would have found a specific TIG cooler for $300 I would have got it, but they normally go for $500 +

Reply to
acrobat ants