Converter for operating single phase 220V / 60Hz machines on 50 Hz in Europe

Hi, I'm thinking of moving some of my smaller machines to Europe. They are currently using 220V single phase motors for 60Hz (up to 5HP) . In Europe I have access to either 3-phase 380VAC/50Hz or single-phase

220VAC/50Hz. Can someone give me an advise? Can I use some sort of inverter setup with a transformer, etc? Reason I'm asking is that I can get free inverters from a friend of mine. BK
Reply to
bkarlstrom

Robert Swinney

Where is that? :-) We have 230V. Anyhow, the motors will get a bit hotter due to the 50Hz, but generally nothing to be worried about.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Depends on what you mean by "smaller".

The problem is the frequency not the voltage. A lot of smaller high RPM equipment uses universal motors that don't care about the frequency but a larger machine running on an induction type motor is going to run about 9% slower and possibly heat up faster.

Many small woodworking machines use universal motors but for a small mill or lathe running on an induction motor where you want reasonably accurate speed you would be better off repowering it. Devices that change the frequency do exist but one that can deliver 10 to 15 amps will cost more than 3 or 4 new motors.

If you decide to repower do it before you ship the machines. It is fairly easy to find NEMA motors that run on 50Hz. I am not so sure about finding ISO motors that will fit standard NEMA mount, shaft and keyway dimensions.

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

Maybe not. Why do you need accurate speed on a mill or lathe?

Reply to
Don Foreman

A bit pessimistic - a "device" that can change the frequency is a VFD and the price is now very affordable. Much easier than changing motors and also has the benefit of variable speed operation.

Jim,

Reply to
pentagrid

Most 220 Volt 60 Hz induction motors will vibrate and overheat severly on

220 50 Hz. --- 50 Hz motors on 60 Hz are no problem. Steve
Reply to
Steve Lusardi

If the voltage is reduced by ~20% using a buck transformer a 60Hz motor should be okay on 50Hz.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Last week I installed two Automation Direct GS1 vfds on a pair of Hardinge HSL speed lathes. They were 1 hp, and were $125 each. Worked quite well for the application.

They also sell one that takes 115vt single phase and outputs 230vt 3ph for about $160 IRRC...1 hp.

Their catalog is about the size of the LA phone book and very very very well done.

There is an outlet in Anaheim, California on La Palma, that I do a fair amount of business with. Walk in, give em the part number or tell em the application and they are very willing to help.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner