Converter for operating single phase 220V / 60Hz machines on 50 Hz in Europe

Hi, I'm thinking of moving some of my smaller machines to Europe. They are currently using 220V single phase motors for 60Hz (up to 5HP) . In
Europe I have access to either 3-phase 380VAC/50Hz or single-phase 220VAC/50Hz. Can someone give me an advise? Can I use some sort of inverter setup with a transformer, etc? Reason I'm asking is that I can get free inverters from a friend of mine. BK
Your machines will run adequately on the 220VAC/50Hz supply. Bob Swinney

Where is that? :-) We have 230V. Anyhow, the motors will get a bit hotter due to the 50Hz, but generally nothing to be worried about.
Nick
--
The modular DRO
<http://www.yadro.de>

Maybe not. Why do you need accurate speed on a mill or lathe?
On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 15:52:44 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore"

A bit pessimistic - a "device" that can change the frequency is a VFD and the price is now very affordable. Much easier than changing motors and also has the benefit of variable speed operation.
Jim,

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 23:01:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Last week I installed two Automation Direct GS1 vfds on a pair of Hardinge HSL speed lathes. They were 1 hp, and were $125 each. Worked quite well for the application.
They also sell one that takes 115vt single phase and outputs 230vt 3ph for about $160 IRRC...1 hp.
Their catalog is about the size of the LA phone book and very very very well done.
www.automationdirect.com
There is an outlet in Anaheim, California on La Palma, that I do a fair amount of business with. Walk in, give em the part number or tell em the application and they are very willing to help.
Gunner
Most 220 Volt 60 Hz induction motors will vibrate and overheat severly on 220 50 Hz. --- 50 Hz motors on 60 Hz are no problem. Steve

On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 12:03:53 +0200, the renowned "Steve Lusardi"

If the voltage is reduced by ~20% using a buck transformer a 60Hz motor should be okay on 50Hz.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany