cooler thermostat help

Each of the evaporators in the apple cooler has a thermostat like item C on page 603 of

They are mounted on the 13' ceiling in the dark area behind the evaporator. I have to climb to the top of a 10 foot step ladder to adjust them and they need several adjustments per season. My old tired eyes almost can't see the dial anymore, trying to look through bifocals to the ceiling while holding a flashlight and leaning over a stack of apple boxes just ain't fun.

So, I'm looking for a better thermostat. First I looked at an electronic thermostat - item E on the same Mcmaster page 603. I could move it about four foot down the wall as it has a longer bulb length. That would put it

9-10' high on the wall. easier to see but still need a ladder.

Then I noticed item 331K21 on page 544. If I could lengthen the cables from

3' to 30', the control unit could be placed near the cooler walk door at eye level - no more ladder. It says the sensor is a thermistor probe with a 3.5' cable. So, can a thermistor probe cable be lengthened?

Or, any other good suggestions? I'd really like to adjust cooler set point without a ladder and at the front of the room if at all possible. The back evaporator often gets stacked in. FWIW, any thermostat just energizes a 220 VAC solenoid to let the refrigerant flow.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Karl sez:

". . . So, can a thermistor probe cable be lengthened?. . ."

I'm fairly certain thermistor probe cables can be lengthened; not exactly my baliwick, though. Do some reading in Wikipedia and etc.

Bob Swinney

So, I'm looking for a better thermostat. First I looked at an electronic thermostat - item E on the same Mcmaster page 603. I could move it about four foot down the wall as it has a longer bulb length. That would put it

9-10' high on the wall. easier to see but still need a ladder.

Then I noticed item 331K21 on page 544. If I could lengthen the cables from

3' to 30', the control unit could be placed near the cooler walk door at eye level - no more ladder. It says the sensor is a thermistor probe with a 3.5' cable. Or, any other good suggestions? I'd really like to adjust cooler set point without a ladder and at the front of the room if at all possible. The back evaporator often gets stacked in. FWIW, any thermostat just energizes a 220 VAC solenoid to let the refrigerant flow.

Karl

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Thermistor temp probes can definitely be lengthened within reason and just need a little recalibration perhaps.

If you want to do things the correct industrial way, you use a real industrial temperature controller like 38615K13 on page 544 with a thermocouple type sensor (pick a type J on page 538) you can readily locate anywhere (type J extension on page 542)

Reply to
Pete C.

Reply to
RoyJ

Yea, you can roll your own, and McMaster has TC wire as well. I expect the OP just want's to get the job done, and not practice TIG welding his own thermocouples however.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

"Karl Townsend" wrote: (clip) My old tired eyes almost can't see the dial anymore, trying to look through bifocals to the ceiling while holding a flashlight (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1.) Flashlight with a headband. Available at Harbor Freight. 2.) Glasses with a bifocal element at the top. They are made for librarians (who have to read stuff on the higher shelves) and people who have to read meters and gauges that are above eye level. I used to have a pair, and they are also good for working off a creeper under the car.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman

"Remote sensor thermostat". I got one last fall for the apartments - the sensor is in one apartment on the 2nd floor and the thermostat is in the basement. Just ran ordinary wire between them. Don't remember the model, but it is Honeywell & I got it on eBay. IIRC, it was a model that could be either internal or remote sensor, switch or option selected.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Help me out with thermocouple vs. thermister.

My understanding, thermocouples are just a joint of two dissimilar metals. can measure temperature over a large range, but can't control accurately to a small range of control. I'm after +/- 1 degree F or better

Thermistors are a temperature sensitive resistor with less range and more accuracy, and can do +/- 1 degree control.

The only thermistor controller in McmasterCarr is the one I'm asking about.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Yeah, but Karl's son is one of those TIG welder guys that practices on beer cans. For what he wants to do, welding his own seems like the best choice.

I didn't find the TC wire in McMaster, used the Omega site since it had a good writeup.

I've always used 'K' wire, you menti> RoyJ wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ

Reply to
RoyJ

Reply to
RoyJ

Certainly an option. Save a few $ in TC connectors.

McMaster page 541, bottom.

No particular reason, just first in the list of supported TC types for the controller.

Reply to
Pete C.

Exact opposite, thermocouples are much more accurate than thermisters. Thermisters are cheaper than thermocouples, and good enough for consumer stuff like on PC cooling fans.

Reply to
Pete C.

Additionally the autotuning PID controller referenced will learn the response times of your refrigeration system and tune itself for very tight control.

Reply to
Pete C.

J t/c's come on a lot of stuff because they're cheaper. They work fine, but don't use one around moisture or corrosive environments. The iron (J = iron/constantan) will corrode and fail. Actually, when I need as much accuracy as I can get, I use RTD's. Most temp controllers support them, and the signal is much more robust than the t/c millivolt signal. I have them assembled with Brad Harrison Nanochange connectors by Sandelius in Houston. That makes it easy to swap in a spare. The normal four prong connector made from two t/c connectors of copper is too big and clunky.

I still use J's when they come installed by the OEM. But when I use them, I calibrate the entire loop with a dry block tester at least once per year. I have found that J's will drift significantly over a period of years in a temperature cycling application, like an oven or an extruder that doesn't run continuously.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

There are standard thermostats with a capillary tube and a remote sensing bulb. Generally, they con'd come with VERY long tubes, but 6 feet is no problem. You should be able to put the part with the dial in a more convenient place. You should be able to find these at a refrigeration supply outfit.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Make sure you're dealing with a thermistor, not a thermocouple. Thermistors are "thermal resistors" and can use regular copper wire for hook up. Thermocouples use two different types of materials and require the same pairing for hookup wire. One causes a varying voltage drop to an applied voltage, the other generates a (small) varying voltage. Temperature controls can be designed to use one or the other, but they don't substitute types without some redesign. With a thermistor, you may have to adjust for the voltage drop of the additional wire, the temperature control may think it's cooler(or warmer) than it really is because of the additional resistance, depends on the coefficient of the thermistor, positive or negative.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

I used the Penn A419 (1760K77) on a Sauna where nothing else worked, too cool for an oven stat, too hot for a room... It's fine except when one of the residents tries messing with anything other than the setpoint - it's either totally locked or totally unlocked, no 'setpoint change only' option... Then I have to go and reset it.

They have factory longer lead thermistor sensors available. Put it in conduit for damage protection. And the Penn has nifty features - all the setpoints and timing is programmable...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

BINGO! I'm orderring two on Monday. McMaster doesn't list the long lead but says they are available. Can you suggest a vendor to just order from?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

You can use the thermistor that comes with it and splice on some more wire - ISTR that there's a gauge restriction, but not onerous - needs 18 Ga or 16 Ga copper thermostat wire.

Might call for twisted, but that's used as speaker wire for home theatre pre-installs. Available at The Borg.

If McMaster gives you a long lead time, try a local refrigeration house - Johnstone Supply is national, and has locations everywhere.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman