cordless drill questions

Just get a cordless drill with a 12 volt charger, then you can use it anywhere.
I find that my cordless drill is the tool that I use most often, so I
don't suggest a cheap one. Two batteries are nice.
Richard
Mickey Feldman wrote:

What's that Lassie? You say that Mickey Feldman fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Wed, 21 Jul 2004 04:18:31 GMT:

yes. I took a dead battery pack and gutted it. I soldered heavy wires to the contacts, added a strain relief, and used a soldering iron to 'weld' the pack back together. Then just a couple of big alligator clips and your in business. Mind the polarity.
I did similar with another drill charger when it went belly up.
I cut the charger down to just the socket that takes the battery pack, and got rid of all but the contact part of the circuit board. With a lot of silicone caulk, and a cigarette socket, I now have 12v power on the go.
Dan H.
--

Dan

DCPM motors as in cordless drills will run at reduced speed on lower-than-rated voltage. They'll also deliver lower-than-rated stall torque because stall current (from the lower voltage source) will be less. If the drill can do the job under these condx, it should work fine. Note that your "12 volt" is really more like 14.4 volts if the engine is running and the battery is being charged.
Use fairly heavy leads -- at least 12 gage. A 12-volt cordless drill can draw 20 amps or more under heavy load. Rather amazing in a motor about 2" long x 1.4" dia, but I've measured it.
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 04:18:31 GMT, Mickey Feldman

Don Foreman wrote:

I believe that - I have a cobalt magnet motor that took my 2 meter wing span glider to 2000' several times with 12" prop. That sucker drew 32 amps off the 8V Ni-Cad pack. A couple of runs and that was it.
I used 500 strand super flex wire and an auto fuse. Heavy duty speed control. It is about the same size of the larger drill motors we use... Hum - come to think of it, I'll have to find a job for it now.
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
Thanks all for your feedback - as usual, the collective experience of RCM comes through!

Site Timeline