Craftsman/Dunlop '49 6" Lathe Chuck Mounting Problem

||In article , GTO69RA4 says... ||>

||>The trick I've seen most done is just making solid spindle for it. Stronger ||>than the original with the oversized through-hole. || ||The original AA products machines did not have the hole. That ||was added later, along with the back gears and whatnot.

Yep. Mine has a solid spindle with only 1/2-24 threads for the chuck. It appears to also have a recess for a center, but it's pretty well munged. Interestingly, it has a series of belts & pulleys to drive the leadscrew. Might make threadcutting interesting :)

BTW, I attempted to build a new spindle from a 5/8 shock absorber shaft. It cut easily, but I could not get it to cut smoothly. Any dea what kind of steel that would be? Any reason it would not be suitable for a lathe spindle? =================================================

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

Thank you, that is indeed correct for the stock version of the machine. My memory error.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen