Crappy tools

wrote:

so, if you want a really nice hammer drill, my friend just asked me to sell off one for him - a Red Head 747 - in a metal case with a pile of accessories - is this made by Bosch? it says ITT, but maybe Bosh bought out their tool division - it's certainly heavy and rugged and ought to do the trick
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item00407022032
and he also asked me to sell this RAMSET thingie for him: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item00407011330

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-HILTI-TE1-TE-1-ROTARY-CONCRETE-HAMMER-DRILL-CORDED_W0QQitemZ260567770235QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Hammer_Drills?hash=item3cab0ca47b
http://cgi.ebay.com/HILTI-TE15-ROTARY-HAMMER-DRILL-w-CHUCK-ADAPTER_W0QQitemZ230448611603QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Hammer_Drills?hash=item35a7cec113
Totally agree with Gunner. After trying several hammer drills for drilling holes in concrete, the Hilti far outshown all the others that I tried. It is a trade-off of how many cuss words and time are worth how much money.
Stu

I've used my neighbour's Hilti and the rental-shop's Hitachi. The Hitachi was a bit heavier so was better when using it as a jack-hammer. With a core-drill I did like the Hilti- but both are SERIOUS hammer drills compared to the wimpy half inch drive Black and Decker or Porter Cable Wannabees.
As has been mentioned, Hilti is an excellent tool. Primarily because it is a "rotary hammer", not a "hammer drill". There is a fundamental difference in how they work, but I can't remember what it is <G>. For the occasional concrete drilling that I do, a Hilti would be over kill. However I have a Bosch _rotary hammer_ that I am very pleased with.
Bob