CRC TrueTap HD

  Anybody used this stuff ? Quite a few positive comments on Amazon , but who knows how real they are ... anyway , I've gotten tired of burning up drill bits so I bought a couple of pint bottles . Probably last me the rest of my life if it's as good as the reviews I read .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

I got a can of Wibro (or is it Winbro) alum-tap many years ago, it is amazing stuff. Reduces torque to tap aluminum by a lot, even over other tapping oil. I haven't tried anything else, and won't until I use up what could turn out to be a lifetime supply.

I do a fair amount of rigid tapping, and do 4-40 combo drill-taps at 1000 RPM, the taps seem to last forever. I break them due to setup mishaps, never seem to wear them out.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

On 1/21/2020 4:39 PM, Terry Coombs wrote: >

I won't even bother. I tap a lot of holes, and use Tap Magic all metals for all manual and semi manual tapping. On the CNC mill I do a fair amount of machine tapping with TC tap holders, and I just use the same SC520 at around 6% I use for everything else I run coolant on. In steel... Yep I put a few drops of Tap Magic on the edge of each hole to run in before I press start.

I am probably wasteful with the TapMagic, but its still cheaper than breaking a tap after turning a lump of alloy into several hundred or thousand dollars worth of blood sweat and tears. I buy it by the gallon and pour it into smaller containers I have all over the shop. I just opened my second gallon since I started using it several years ago. A buddy of mine originally gave me a small can of it as a thank you for modifying some roller forming dies for him.

I've also tried Rapid Tap, and its ok. I've got the container of that setting over by the lathe and just use it as regular cutting oil From MSC if you have an account Tap Magic was cheaper last time I looked.

Reply to
Bob La Londe