This might just work !

tractor yesterday that's been beat to shit ... the machine auto-engages the front wheel drive when the brakes are applied , and the corners are
beat clean off the dogs , and the tractor place wants me to just mill the beat-up ends off so it will engage and drive . No problem ... except ... these are apparently fully-hardened pieces . I didn't figger HSS would cut it , and I was right . C5 carbide inserts do a passable job in my (home made) single flute indexable end mill , but the diamond router bits I salvaged from the last cabinet shop I worked at do the best . Too bad they're chipped on the corners . I think the indexable will do the job just fine , I'm using a CNMG321 insert with chip breaker and feeding slow with a .015-.020" depth of cut . Last pass will clean up the bottom of the cut and kiss the face , I'll use a brand new insert for that last pass . The hardest part is going to be indexing these parts on the rotary table so the cuts match and one lug doesn't end up carrying the load - and end up with offset loading on the drive/driven elements . I think I have that part figured out too , center the part on the RT/chuck assembly , center the assembly under the spindle then offset 1/2 the diameter of the cutter . Then offset it the other way to cut the opposite end of the lugs .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Good to hear that someone is doing metal working. I am not sure it would b e worthwhile to take photos since there seems to be very few people here th at actually do metal working.
I actually have done a little metal working recently. I picked up some law n tractor blades from the local merchants scrap pile. And decided it would be good to sharpen some that look as if they are mulching blades and use t hem. But the spindle hole is too small on all of the salvaged blades. So I made a bit to gen the blades interceded on my drill mill and then bored o ut the hole. Took forever. Those blades are hard. So did some more work to be able to use a rotor broach that is just a little too small. Used th at and then only had to bore out the hole about a 64th on the next two blad es.
The lawn looks better with the mulching blades. We get spells where it is too wet to mow , but the grass keeps growing. So then there was a bunch o f grass cuttings on the lawn. The new to me blades chop it up a little fin er.
Dan
wrote in message
[...]

Hey, I do metal working everyday. It just mostly the same old stuff. I throw a piece extruded aluminum flat bar on the mill, surface it, make some fancy holes in it, put it in a box, and wait for the mail carrier to pick it up.
Yesterday I did something different, but its so simple I wouldn't mention it if you had not whined about the lack of metal working content. LOL.
I replaced the drip deflectors over the burners in my propane BBQ with some stainless steel sheet. The only (mild steel?) ones has practically disintegrated. Then I went to empty the drip tray and found it had disintegrated as well. There was enough left to measure. I roughed out two of the three drip deflectors with a nibbler, but had to finish the third one with aviation snips. The drip pan I cut down with the aviation snips and slit for braking with them. Total cost (not counting my time) was dirt cheap thanks to the drop price of some 22 gage stainless pieces from Remington Industrial Supply.
Sorry about jacking you thread Terry. It's Dan's fault.
On 6/2/2018 12:36 PM, snipped-for-privacy@krl.org wrote:

much going on right now that mowing is quite low on the priority list ... but the greasy beans are runnin' , the Red Ripped field peas are starting to run , and I've got the cutest little yellow squash on one of the vines . Some of my 'maters are almost 4 feet tall now and many plants have blossoms ... when the fruit hits the fan my wife is going to be very very busy canning all this stuff <evil grin> teach her to criticize my gardening skills !
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On 6/2/2018 3:39 PM, Janglin wrote:

luck , this is a text-only group . How about a link to your "better places" ? Or , how can I say this delicately ... I can't , so here it is - put up or shut up . Post a link to these alleged photos or be branded a liar . FWIW , I like Dan . He's proven himself to be a stand-up guy numerous times . You , on the other hand , are a total unknown . This is the first post I've ever seen of yours (under this nym ...) and I know nothing about you . Prove yourself or shut the fuck up .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

No.

Huntress has already written about photos I've sent him.
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.survivalism/eP4lekDyi6c/s8j9iHdtCQAJ
Call us both liars if you want. He won't be bothered any more than I.

He's a whiner. He likes to claim that not writing what he wants to read is proof that I can't do anything. Logical fallacies aren't stand-up, they're stupid.

Who cares what you know about me? Did you imagine your post would motivate me to show you anything? Why?

You gave your orders and I fart in your general direction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWBUl7oT9sA
I guess you didn't think through your strategy. Obvious next step for you is to join in on the cull. I'm sure Wieber would be willing to give you and Dan discount memberships. LOL
On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 5:58:12 PM UTC-4, Janglin wrote:

Yes , I am a whiner. RCM was a nice place to read about metalworking. Now it is slowly dying since most of the posts are about politics. My claim that you can not do any metalworking may not be true, but it is certainly is not refuted by your posts.
Dan
On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 16:52:55 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@krl.org"

Not for a long time. Folks like you were happy to read Wieber's political shit and death threats. I expect that you still are. When you don't challenge somebody who lives in a shithole about bringing his shithole ideas to your "nice place," it's easily foreseeable that it would turn into a shithole.

Nothing new.

Why do you state things that "may not be true" as facts? Why don't you speak up when Wieber does the same?

keep being cute. I'd prefer you do the latter because it's funnier.
On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 8:40:50 PM UTC-4, Janglin wrote:

Do you read what you post? Does it make sense to you?
Dan
On 6/2/2018 6:40 PM, snipped-for-privacy@krl.org wrote:

It makes perfect sense, you whiner. You bear a lot of the responsibility for r.c.m. turning into a shithole, both by silently acquiescing to Wieber's toxic bullshit and death threats, or by chiming in with support for him. You are culpable.
On 6/2/2018 8:47 PM, Geroge Plimpton wrote:

related ? You're just another troll that's pissed off because somebody had the gall to post an on topic subject .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On 6/2/2018 7:54 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Hey, Terry - go stick a broken bottle up your ass.

Where's the metalworking in *your* post? Sheesh.
On 6/3/2018 9:49 AM, Janglin wrote:

major player in trying to turn RCM into a shithole . And you just can't let an on topic post continue without trying to fuck it up . I started this thread with comments about the small job that's now out in the shop mounted to my rotary table . I'm about to just wait for that brand new solid carbide end mill to arrive before I go any farther . The shop-made single insert end mill I'm using works , but it's noisy and inefficient . There's your metalworking content .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Yesterday you commanded me to STFU, and when I didn't, you said *you* were going to STFU. "Well , fuck you . Bye !"
I think you secretly like reading my posts. At the very least you can't stop reading them. <chuckle>
On Sun, 03 Jun 2018 06:18:03 -0700, wrote:

Yes.

Sure. But I'm not surprised you're in denial about your complicity in the downward spiral of this newsgroup, or your silly idea that it's something recent. I quit posting on-topic stuff here a long time ago. Moderated forums make more sense for that anyway. For the last couple years most of my photo postings were to a model-specific forum. It makes sense to share my projects with folks who know what they're looking at. As opposed to sharing with dipshits, some of whom post ill-thought opinion as fact, can't even tell when their illogical comments have devolved into lying, and are happy to read others doing the same.
On 6/3/2018 9:48 AM, Janglin wrote:

pictures to post , and you have no talent - other than to troll newsgroups and try to ruin them . As I said before , post a link to a site that we can verify your "projects" or shut the fuck up .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Let's extend your hilarious logic a bit - you command a woman to show you her breasts. She refuses, and your conclusion is that she doesn't have any. LOL
How much time have you spent declaring that I can't do anything? How long would take you to email Ed Huntress and be told you're dead wrong? Conclusion: you like being wrong. What a bonehead!
On 6/2/2018 4:58 PM, Janglin wrote:

you . Bye !
--
Snag