This might just work !

tractor yesterday that's been beat to shit ... the machine auto-engages the front wheel drive when the brakes are applied , and the corners are beat clean off the dogs , and the tractor place wants me to just mill the beat-up ends off so it will engage and drive . No problem ... except ... these are apparently fully-hardened pieces . I didn't figger HSS would cut it , and I was right . C5 carbide inserts do a passable job in my (home made) single flute indexable end mill , but the diamond router bits I salvaged from the last cabinet shop I worked at do the best . Too bad they're chipped on the corners . I think the indexable will do the job just fine , I'm using a CNMG321 insert with chip breaker and feeding slow with a .015-.020" depth of cut . Last pass will clean up the bottom of the cut and kiss the face , I'll use a brand new insert for that last pass . The hardest part is going to be indexing these parts on the rotary table so the cuts match and one lug doesn't end up carrying the load - and end up with offset loading on the drive/driven elements . I think I have that part figured out too , center the part on the RT/chuck assembly , center the assembly under the spindle then offset 1/2 the diameter of the cutter . Then offset it the other way to cut the opposite end of the lugs .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

WD

Good to hear that someone is doing metal working. I am not sure it would b e worthwhile to take photos since there seems to be very few people here th at actually do metal working.

I actually have done a little metal working recently. I picked up some law n tractor blades from the local merchants scrap pile. And decided it would be good to sharpen some that look as if they are mulching blades and use t hem. But the spindle hole is too small on all of the salvaged blades. So I made a bit to gen the blades interceded on my drill mill and then bored o ut the hole. Took forever. Those blades are hard. So did some more work to be able to use a rotor broach that is just a little too small. Used th at and then only had to bore out the hole about a 64th on the next two blad es.

The lawn looks better with the mulching blades. We get spells where it is too wet to mow , but the grass keeps growing. So then there was a bunch o f grass cuttings on the lawn. The new to me blades chop it up a little fin er.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

[...]

Hey, I do metal working everyday. It just mostly the same old stuff. I throw a piece extruded aluminum flat bar on the mill, surface it, make some fancy holes in it, put it in a box, and wait for the mail carrier to pick it up.

Yesterday I did something different, but its so simple I wouldn't mention it if you had not whined about the lack of metal working content. LOL.

I replaced the drip deflectors over the burners in my propane BBQ with some stainless steel sheet. The only (mild steel?) ones has practically disintegrated. Then I went to empty the drip tray and found it had disintegrated as well. There was enough left to measure. I roughed out two of the three drip deflectors with a nibbler, but had to finish the third one with aviation snips. The drip pan I cut down with the aviation snips and slit for braking with them. Total cost (not counting my time) was dirt cheap thanks to the drop price of some 22 gage stainless pieces from Remington Industrial Supply.

Sorry about jacking you thread Terry. It's Dan's fault.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

much going on right now that mowing is quite low on the priority list ... but the greasy beans are runnin' , the Red Ripped field peas are starting to run , and I've got the cutest little yellow squash on one of the vines . Some of my 'maters are almost 4 feet tall now and many plants have blossoms ... when the fruit hits the fan my wife is going to be very very busy canning all this stuff teach her to criticize my gardening skills !

Reply to
Terry Coombs

What the hell would you know about what anyone is doing? I email photos often, and I sent one of a recent project to Huntress only about a week ago. He suggested posting it here. No thanks, not interested in proving anything to dumb s**ts like you who make up their facts. I do post photos and descriptions in better places though. It would be helpful if you'd write up a list of forums you visit. If it happens that they include anywhere I've posted, I promise not to do it there any more.

Reply to
Janglin

luck , this is a text-only group . How about a link to your "better places" ? Or , how can I say this delicately ... I can't , so here it is

- put up or shut up . Post a link to these alleged photos or be branded a liar . FWIW , I like Dan . He's proven himself to be a stand-up guy numerous times . You , on the other hand , are a total unknown . This is the first post I've ever seen of yours (under this nym ...) and I know nothing about you . Prove yourself or shut the f*ck up .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

No.

Huntress has already written about photos I've sent him.

Call us both liars if you want. He won't be bothered any more than I.

He's a whiner. He likes to claim that not writing what he wants to read is proof that I can't do anything. Logical fallacies aren't stand-up, they're stupid.

Who cares what you know about me? Did you imagine your post would motivate me to show you anything? Why?

You gave your orders and I fart in your general direction.

I guess you didn't think through your strategy. Obvious next step for you is to join in on the cull. I'm sure Wieber would be willing to give you and Dan discount memberships. LOL

Reply to
Janglin

One down-market scrounging salvage artist advising another...too funny!

Reply to
Derek Nash

Yes , I am a whiner. RCM was a nice place to read about metalworking. Now it is slowly dying since most of the posts are about politics. My claim that you can not do any metalworking may not be true, but it is certainly is not refuted by your posts.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

One definition of an Engineer is somebody that can do what any damn fool can do, but can do it cheaper.

So I take pride is doing things inexpensively. I have lots of money, but there is no fun in just paying to have things done.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Not for a long time. Folks like you were happy to read Wieber's political shit and death threats. I expect that you still are. When you don't challenge somebody who lives in a shithole about bringing his shithole ideas to your "nice place," it's easily foreseeable that it would turn into a shithole.

Nothing new.

Why do you state things that "may not be true" as facts? Why don't you speak up when Wieber does the same?

Man up and admit saying something stupid if you can, or keep being cute. I'd prefer you do the latter because it's funnier.

Reply to
Janglin

you . Bye !

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Do you read what you post? Does it make sense to you?

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

It makes perfect sense, you whiner. You bear a lot of the responsibility for r.c.m. turning into a shithole, both by silently acquiescing to Wieber's toxic bullshit and death threats, or by chiming in with support for him. You are culpable.

Reply to
Geroge Plimpton

related ? You're just another troll that's pissed off because somebody had the gall to post an on topic subject .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Wieber can do *nothing* of value. I doubt you can, either.

Reply to
Derek Nash

Every manufacturing firm has a "make-or-buy" flag on every item in their parts table. If making a part is within their capability, *and* if making it is cheaper than buying it, then they'll make it themselves. If either one is not true, then they'll buy it. You're stupid. You undoubtedly make things that it would be economically more sensible to buy.

I doubt you have lots of money. You come across as a real cheapie.

Reply to
Jeff Blackburn

Hey, Terry - go stick a broken bottle up your ass.

Reply to
Geroge Plimpton

Doubt away. It makes no difference to me. But it does seem strange that some one who does not post about metalworking in a group about metalworking talks about doing something of value.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

If you are talking about government contracts it is more complicated that t hat. Gov contracts usually have requirements for contracting a percentage of the work to small businesses. So lots of time parts are contracted out even when they could be made cheaper in house.

I actually am not stupid. I was in the Navy and took the GCT test and had a score of 72. I joined as a reserve and only was obligated for 2 years so the only schooling I got was three days of gun fire control training. But was assigned a gun fire control system to maintain. I really wanted to be an ET so took the correspondence course and became a 3rd class ET.

But you are right in that I repair or make things that are not economical t o repair or make. I just think it is as logical as making say a model stea m engine.

I actually do have lots of money. I just always saved some money and it gr ew to be a sizeable amount. I built. a house while working as an engineer and managed to do that without taking out a mortgage. So then was able to put 12 % of my salary in my 401k pla n for twenty some years. So I am a real cheapie, but a cheapy with lots of money.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster