Crinkle paint

Hi folks,

Recently I've spotted a few really nice cast iron tape dispensers on eBay. I want one, but most of them have pretty rough paint. The paint has an unusual crinkly finish. Is crinkle paint (or whatever it's actually called) readily available and easy to use, or am I really limited to enamel in this case?

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I have seen it in B&Q (some time ago), and I think Rustin sells it. A good camera dealer might be able to help; it is used on some darkroom gear.

Reply to
Limey Lurker

Yes you can get wrinkle paint at better auto parts stores or paint stores that cater to the auto body trade.

The problem is often the colors are rather limited. You also might look at hammertone paint. I really like the dark blue.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out B & Q next time I'm passing.

I found a suggestion in the archives that it can be obtained from a company called Frosts in the UK. It seems they have it in black, red and grey. Ideally I wanted dark green, but red would be my second choice.

I might consider hammertone paint. I'm not sure what it would look like on one of these tape dispensers. I guess it has a masking effect just like crinkle paint, so it might look good.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I used some in a spray can in the 1960's. It takes a little practice to get a good uniform wrinkle. You spray it on a bit heavy compared to regular paint, and then watch it shrivel before your eyes. It's pretty neat to watch, and it isn't hard to get passable results, especially if you aren't too fussy.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Also if you have a UK distributor of Kennedy tool boxes they have wrinkle paint in red and brown I believe.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Roger sez:

I agree. Hammertone is similar to wrinkle and would be a good choice if wrinkle is hard to find.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

McMaster Carr carries it...

Put 'Wrinkle Finish' sans quotes in the search box. On the page they call it 'Textured-Finish Paint'.

Colors are a bit limited... Flat: Black, Dark Green and White. $6.84.

If I recall correctly, Pep Boys has (or had) it too. Probably well over

10 years since I've seen it there, but really haven't been looking for it. (Pep Boys is a DIY auto parts, accessories chain.)

Pep Boys also has (or had) that speckely paint they once used to paint car trunk interiors with... interesting stuff.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

"Erik" wrote: (clip) Pep Boys also has (or had) that speckely paint they once used to paint car trunk interiors with... interesting stuff. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Zolatone. It's especially good for covering surfaces that are going to get dinged and scratched, or that are already dinged and scratched.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Buy a can of whatever colour is handy & once its dried top coat with the colour of your choice :)

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

Chris Yes, Frosts keep it:

for P110, available in several colours. Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

I've used Black Crinkle paint on a couple of rotorcraft instrument panels. I just sprayed the panel and put it into the oven and warmed it a bit and the crinkle was very uniform. So was the evil look that I got from the wife for using the oven that way. The Crinkle looked good but it is hard to dust just wiping with a rag..

Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

"Howard Eisenhauer" wrote: Buy a can of whatever colour is handy & once its dried top coat with the colour of your choice :) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ It might work, but these are the problems:

1.) Spraying over a wrinkle finish will require extra care to get coverage all the way to the bottom of the wrinkles. This could result in loading the surface with so much paint that the wrinkles lose part of their sharpness and depth.
  1. When it starts to wear, the original color of the wrinkle finish will start to show on the tops of the wrinkles, and it will happen most where the thing is handled. It might look worse than it does now.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Yikes 7.50 GBP for a can of paint? You guys are getting clipped!

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Wrinkle-finish varnish is common and easy to apply. You lay down one wet coat, allow it to dry a certain length of time (it gets rubbery), then apply another coat. Upon thorough drying, it wrinkles up nicely.

I'm partial to the Rustoleum "Hammertone" finishes. The wrinkle finish is a more old-fashioned look common to electronics and deskware of the 1960s. Hammertone is the "current look".

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

It not named RipOff Britain for nothing you know! Just be thankful you don't pay our fuel prices LOL.

Wayne...

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

Chris,

Try

They are a little pricey, but for Auto- body stuff, they have a lot and readily available.

Cheers,

Jim H.

Reply to
Papasmithy

Reply to
Tom Wait

Wayne Weedon wrote in news:bHxKh.3720$pP5.3686 @newsfe3-gui.ntli.net:

The bulk of those prices goes to the Tax Collector.

Not every gummint taxes fuels as heavily...

Reply to
Eregon

In the case of Fuel yes. But it's not important that the bulk of that is Tax, as it's always been the same whether we have a left or right government. It's what we pay though, it's either that or walk!

There's also the imported products that are priced at $1 = 1GBP which has been going on for years. The internet and the ability to order products direct from the US more easily now does help that situation.

It'll be interesting if now J&L are a MSC company if we get the good deals our US friends get, somehow I doubt it ;)

Wayne....

Reply to
Wayne Weedon