Crinkle paint

Thanks for all the suggestions. McMaster is a promising suggestion and they have it in dark green. I think McMaster ship to England. I'll have to see what it'll cost.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I use wrinkle paint all the time. It's easily available in California. To reinforce what another poster has mentioned, heat is a Good Thing when using it. After spraying I put the part under a heat lamp. The heat really makes the wrinkles "pop" and makes the wrinkling uniform over the entire part. If the part is too big for the heated area, I find that even if I move the part so that the unwrinkled areas are under the lamp, the previously wrinkled areas seem to stay wrinkled.

Peter

Reply to
pgrey

According to Christopher Tidy :

Wrinkle varnish used to be easy to purchase in rattle cans in electronics supply places. It required spraying a fairly thick coat, letting it dry for perhaps a quarter or a half hour, then spraying another coat. If you then let it air dry, you would get a fairly coarse set of wrinkles, and it would take nearly forever to dry. If you put it in an oven for an hour or two, it would dry much more quickly, but would produce a much finer wrinkle pattern.

The most common color was black, though I have seen brown, and gray colors, and I presume that others were available as well.

A quick google search on the term "wrinkle varnish" found (among other things) on the first page:

If you scroll to the bottom you will find that wrinkle varnish is one of the products which they carry. I'll leave it to you to refine the search terms to find someplace close to where you live.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Just checked out McMaster. They ship internationally by DHL, which will be exorbitant for a couple of aerosols. I might just wait until I see a dispenser on eBay with good paintwork. Unless anyone here has one they want to sell. I'm looking for the early-pattern cast iron Texcel tape dispenser for a 3 inch centre tape roll. It's a big beast, but I love the art deco styling. Green is my favourite colour, but other cool colours would be considered. E-mail me (cdt22 AT cantabgold DOT net) if by chance you've got one you want to sell.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Be glad ya didn't use the toster over to heat treat some leaf springs...

That gets a REALLY evil look, and the wife gets a new toster over.. LOL..

--.- Dave

Reply to
Dave August

That is a good point. I was told by my Dad when I was a lad that wrinkle paint was more or less standard paint with a fast dryer added. The fast dry shrinks un-evenly and makes the neat look. Electronics in the 30-50's all had it.

I have seen wrinkle and crinkle for sale at a hardware store.

Martin Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Stuart & Kathryn Fields wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn