Custom metal stamps?

It looks like I need to get some custom metal stamps made, about 3/8 of an inch high. I need a heart, diamond, spade, and club design. The link below shows what I am working on. I have a client, but he wants to see the suit. The existing piece was simply metal stamped with standard letters and numbers. So who makes custom metal stamps? How much might it cost?

I have considered alternative marking arrangements, but metal stamping is the only marking I know that would survive sanding. If metal stamps are too expensive, I might have to look at alternatives. If I could mark after welding the "cards" together, then etching or some other marking scheme would work.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Ferguson

When I resided in Utah, Salt Lake Stamp used to make custom stamps to any design. You might check the yellow pages in your area to see if anyone does something similar.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

mcmaster-carr offers the option of making custom stamps, bottom of page

1762. pretty expensive though.

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

How many of this piece are you doing? If several, I can likely engrave them at reasonable cost. Or look for a local trophy engraver.

michael

Reply to
michael

Thanks to all for your thoughts.

The samples on the website were done with a standard set of metal stamps, as all I needed were letters and numbers. I think I paid $20 from Harbor Freight.

I like the idea of engraving. The engraving I see on trophies is typically very shallow, but perhaps some trophy shops can engrave more deeply. I have seen a computer controlled self-service machine that engraves tags for pets, that engraving seemed deep enough for my purposes.

At this point, I am talking about a very few cards, so hard to justify large out front costs.

Richard

Richard Fergus> It looks like I need to get some custom metal stamps made, about 3/8 of

Reply to
Richard Ferguson

Try these folks, they do good work.

IIRC they have stock stamps in diamond heart spade and club. They sell them for marking keys and other stuff.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Those cards shown at

like they may have been done by Laser CNC .

The Mints all around the world have equipment to make such stamps-tools if you are planning a huge serie.

Other metalshops also may have a "Scaleable-Phantograph-Mill" to do the job, or you can set out on the quest to make your own. (In 'Silver-steel' and harden it after machining)

AP

Reply to
A.P.

Richard, Here is source I know of

In looking at the web page they do say that the stamps are NOT for use on steel but I wonder if they might not do for a one off job? At $3.50 each it might be worth a try. As to the size the page gives the width (15/64") but not the height of the character. A call to Lee Valley might yield the height info. No connection to them other than as a very satisfied customer. Hope this helps.

Bill

Richard Fergus>> It looks like I need to get some custom metal stamps made, about 3/8

Reply to
Bill Schoenbeck

A guy I know made a custom stamp to trademark his stuff. Basically roughed it out with a grinder on soft metal, hardened it, then finished grinding it. Massive dremel or foredom or die-grinder work, bring a good light and a magnifier. You could do it on pre-hardened stock (buy a punch or cold-chisel and rework the tip) if you are patient.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Thanks to all for their various ideas. I pursued a couple of them, and thought that someone would be interested in the outcome.

Henry Aevers will sell me the metal stamps for $125 each.

My local engraving shop would engrave the cards for $5 per card. They expressed no concern about their "Library" including hearts, spades, etc.

At this point, given the expected limited volume, the engraving shop looks like the way to go. I would have to go over and have them make me a sample, but they have made tags for aircraft control panels, and can engrave mild steel, so it sounds good.

Another example of RCM coming up with practical solutions. Thanks again.

Richard

Roger Shoaf wrote:

Reply to
Richard Ferguson

That is a good price for you at $5 each.

mj

Reply to
michael