Which metal stamps to keep?

Got myself a few stamping kits

from a closed factory.
I want to keep one set and sell others, so here's my question: what
size set to keep. My own needs would be to stamp things like "PROPERTY
OF IGNORAMUS18807" or "ON/OFF" etc.
I think that a sensible approach would be to keep one 3/16" Hanson set
for big letters like ON/OFF, 220V, etc, and one little 1/16" set for
longer words like PROPERTY etc.
Are there some considerations that I missed? Is there ever any reason
for a home-moaner like myself to need big 3/8" or bigger letters?
Ignoramus18807
Besides everything else (several reverse kits or much smaller or larger kits), I have two matching 3/16" digit and letter sets. Digit 2 has a slight chip, but would stamp very well. I put up some pictures. I am listing them on ebay too, but if you make a fair offer, I will take it. 8.10 flat rate priority mail shipping, regardless of quantity, or free local pickup.
I put two detailed pictures here
Ignoramus18807
According to Ignoramus18807 :
A nice collection.
That is reasonable enough.
Perhaps for marking wooden handles on hoes and the like?
Out of curiosity -- what size are the (presumably) number stamps in the round wooden case? Also the set in the frosted plastic baggie right next to them?
I've got a set of really tiny letter stamps, but no matching number stamps. These are 1/32" stamps -- found at a "Patina" old tools sale and auction. They even include the '&' in addition to the '.' -- but no numbers. As such -- if these are 1/32" number stamps in the cylindrical container, I would be interested in purchasing them.
Patina is a local (Washington D.C. area) gathering of old tools collectors, and there is an intersting overlap between that and those of us who actually *use* the tools instead of collect them. I've gotten other useful thing there too, including an olt Starrett changeable-anvil micrometer set, with standards, which covers the 8" to 12" range. (I already had a nice B&S set of individual mics which covered the 0-6" range, so this forced me to go looking for a 6-7" and a 7-8" to fill in the set.
FWIW -- my other two letter/number stamp sets (obtained over a period of *many* years) are 1/8" and 1/16" -- and I get a *lot* more use out of the 1/16", with occasional needs for even smaller, hence my 1/32" set above. I just wish that I could find the matching numbers.
That really large number set is unusual in one way in my experience. It actually has a separate '6' and '9', instead of just expecting you to turn the stamp over to get the other. :-) (Though it looks as though the set in the back right-hand corner is also a ten-stamp set. The rest are nine-stamp sets -- usually arranged 3x3, though I see one which is a 2x2-1-2x2 arrangement.
Thanks, DoN.
Reply to
DoN. Nichols
I'd be interested in the reverse ones. I use them for stamping mold cavities.
Mark Mold and Engineering
MrMold
Sounds good.
I would not be interested in that.
1/24".
Unfortunately, these are 1/24" -- a difference of 1/96" compared to 1/32".
Hm, that's interesting to know. My use of these stamps would be on a new control panel.
Yes, most but not all interchange 6 and 9 (with the result being that 6 (or) bit is more worn.
None of the sets have a "space bar" bit!
Ignoramus18807
On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 03:48:30 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus18807 quickly quoth:
Sure they do. On an Arial set, just turn the 1 sideways!
========================================================== Save the |||
Endangered SKEETS! ||| Web Application Programming ==========================================================
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Ig
Keep them all, they don't take much room. I've found uses for all sizes over the years. The big guys (3/8") I just used to mark the legs on an old table and their respective attachments so I could get them back together in the right order. Only one setup gives a level table that doesn't rock, so once I got it I didn't want to have to go through the testing again. 3/8" is big enough that it's easily seen against the dark stained wood.
Jim
Reply to
Jim McGill
Well, I definitely have no use for reversed sets, those I will sell for sure. I realized this morning that the small sets could be useful in making dog tags for my children (like when taking them to where they can get lost, a dog tag would be useful), etc. I may take a couple of items off ebay because of it. I have some redundant sets also, so I would get rid of these, but yes, you are right in general, this good stuff is hard to find if/when I need it. I am sure I do not need 3/8" sets, though.
Ignoramus16532
Well, I definitely have no use for reversed sets, those I will sell for sure. I realized this morning that the small sets could be useful in making dog tags for my children (like when taking them to where they can get lost, a dog tag would be useful), etc. I may take a couple of items off ebay because of it. I have some redundant sets also, so I would get rid of these, but yes, you are right in general, this good stuff is hard to find if/when I need it. I am sure I do not need 3/8" sets, though.
Ignoramus16532
If you have a 1/8" or so reversed set I'd love to buy it from you.
Gun shows around here often have a guy who will make up dogtags on the spot with whatever you want. I can let you know when I'm going to a show where he's usually at and pick some up for you with whatever you want, or get you his contact info.
Reply to
Dave Hinz
According to Ignoramus18807 :
[ ... ]
Hmm ... sort of half-way -- but those might still be close enough for my needs. There is something to be said for having digits easy to distinguish from letters when you get to the "O/0" pair especially.
That might be close enough -- if you are willing to sell them.
My e-mail address in the headers is valid -- and as long as you don't send attachments or lots of HTML, it should get through to me. (Large files -- over 30K get bounced before I ever see them, which keeps the nuisance virus files out of my Mailbox. :-) (And no -- I would not expect HTML in e-mail from you.)
[ ... ]
Usually -- you need smaller letters than you think at first. Try some samples on a piece of scrap panel and see how they look to you. Try rubbing a contrasting child's crayon into the stamps and then heating with a hot-air gun to get them to flow to fill the grooves nicely for good contrast.
Sure they do -- the letter sets have the 'I' which you can turn 90 degrees and use as an "underscore" '_' to avoid the problems with filenames with spaces in them. :-) (BTW, I understand that Microsoft has determined that for some of their business/enterprise systems they actually *need* a command-line, and that the "spaces in filenames" is just as much of a pain for them as for unix users. :-) In either system, a GUI can make them a lot easier to work with -- but when you need to run shell scripts, you can get serious problems from some of those filenames.
Enjoy, DoN.
Reply to
DoN. Nichols
Maybe I am retarded, but I think that I am smarter than you, not by a large margin, in my estimation, but by some margin.
Ignoramus16532

Site Timeline