Favorite method for marking tools

Looking for opinions on marking tools. Engraver - air or electric

any advantage cheap vs expensive

arc pencil ?

thanks

Reply to
Mike

For protected surfaces: Laser print a mirror image. Transfer with acetone to tool surface. Coat with clear Krylon.

For other stuff, Chinese buzz engraver from HF.

If you have CNC, you can engrave letters and graphics with a carbide point.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I'd rather frisk people as they leave my shop--cavity searches on the more suspicious--or more attractive. :)

Laser etching will proly become affordable one day, but in the meantime, the

*nicest* markings I've seen are stamped--really classy, and quick! Need a flat surface on the tool, tho.

They make holders that can hold 8-18 characters, but these are a little pricey, as are the stamps themselves--cupla hundred bucks, for everything.. Traverse has whole letter/number sets for $15!! But no holder. You could likely make your own holder with not a lot of hassle. They also have stamps w/ "figures"--not sure what's on them--$25 for 1/16,

1/8" sets. I'm sure MSC/McM have their versions.

Course, stamping your tools/tough steel might shorten punch life, but the figures ought to be fairly unique, so you would only need one punch. Or, you could machine your own unique stamps, heat treat'em, etc. All's you really need is some unique "branding". Outfits make these, as well, pretty reasonably. Unless you want to put your whole phone number, etc. on each tool--like someone is going to return them....

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

I marked all my precision tools with an Electro-etch when I bought them. Unfortunately, that was well over 40 years ago and I don't recall much about the tool, but it's not expensive. It does a nice job, and it's permanent. Only problem today is having a typewriter for the template. If your hand work is good, you can do them free hand, too. Sorry, don't have any info on the Electro-Etch----but you might find one listed by the large supply houses, or maybe even a Google search.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Given your handle, I'd have left that last part out. :)

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Since I already own a Foredom and three Dremel tools, I usually "engrave" with a carbide burr.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

Simplest and just as reliable is a sharp steel scriber. Pick a mark you can reproduce and pull the scriber (rather than pushing like you do a pencil). I've yet to find a surface too hard to mark (but diamond scribers are cheap these days if you need something harder). Doesn't really matter what the pattern is as long as it's unique. I got the idea from an old rancher in eastern Oregon that marked all his tools with his registered brand, using a nail. Made sense to me.

Another possibility is a sharp steel punch. I've still got a few of my grandfather's tools and they're all marked with a unique four dot pattern. But a scribe is easier on a round surface.

The real advantage is it's quick and available, so you can mark your tools when you get them. I find if I need something more complex I tend to put it off and forget to do it.

Jim

Reply to
Jim McGill