Cut Outs

Mostly my mill has been used for engraving, although I've used it to shape a few custom pieces. Recently I ran into a problem though. I starting cutting some stencils with it. I found milling off a block of wood flat, and then securing my sheet to that worked fairly well, but when working with metal I've had a hard time figuring out how to secure the pieces I want to remove. They tend to shift, bind the cutter, and it goes SNAP. On light stuff or small jobs I can sit there and watch for it to get close to going through and then take a couple tungsten scribes and use them to hold the waste piece down until the cutter is done and clear. Still it seems like there should be a better way to do that. On a detailed stencil or a piece of aluminum sheet I can find myself standing there for quite a while. I had considered pocketing the entire waste piece, but that would really increase the time to do a job. Also, Lazy Cam really throws in a lot of strange artifacts that need to be manually edited out before you can get a final piece. Not horrible if you are doing twenty of something, but the time to get a good piece can be pretty horrible when doing just one of something.

My latest project is to try and make some commemorative coins for a local event among friends, and pocketing out the entire coin is obviously not the best option. LOL. I have pretty much decided to finish one surface of the coin, cut it out, and then drop it into a pocket in my wood block to do the other side. My problem seems to be in finding a way to cut it out without having it slide and bind as soon as it starts to come loose from the stock.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Make an aluminum clamping fixture to hold the coin blank by clamping the circumference, i.e. pocket out the hole to size, do a horizontal hole for a clamping bolt and cut a relief slot so you can tighten it. Cut the blanks via another method, like sizing and parting on a lathe. Then drop a blank into your fixture, clamp, engrave one side, unclamp, flip, reclamp and engrave the other side.

Reply to
Pete C.

Don't forget to include a couple access notches in the fixture to allow the coin to be removed easily.

Reply to
Pete C.

You might try making the base plate into a vacuum table, cutting and drilling a vacuum manifold under the parts to hold them down. Or glue them to a substrate with a glue that can later be cut or heated, or dissolved away. Wood turners often glue a thin piece of paper between the material they are turning and a faceplate, then split the paper when they are done to free the work.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

I've used it to

problem though. I

off a block of

fairly well, but

out how to secure

the cutter, and

there and watch

couple tungsten

the cutter is

better way to do

sheet I can find

considered pocketing the

time to do a

artifacts that

final piece. Not

time to get a

something.

coins for a

coin is

decided to

drop it into a

problem seems to be in

bind as soon as

cutting and

down. Or glue

heated, or

paper between

the paper when

I like the vacuum table idea. How much would it take to work? Would, say, a hand operated brake bleeder pump be enough? Might be if only one item was being held? phil

Reply to
Phil Kangas

[ ... ]

Unlikely. A vacuum table has leaks even at best. You'll need a pump which can keep ahead of the leaks. You might work with a shop vac, or even a house vacuum cleaner, if you don't need the maximum hold.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I would do it as a sandwich. A bottom plate that is solid, A middle layer that has an x-y grid cut into the interior and all connected to a port for the nozzle of a shop vac, (1.25"), and a sacrificial top layer, that you change for each new design, which has holes drilled to intersect the x-y grid under the parts in strategic places.

Use MDF or something else quite flat and smooth surfaced for the top layer.

Good luck.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

Two classic solutions: jeweler's wax (black hot-melt adhesive) can hold a sheet firmly, but let go with gentle heating (like, on a hot plate). Coolant is required, of course.

Also, electrochemical machining (i.e. make a stencil, use it to apply a mask, then etch in appropriate reagent). Copper and stainless etch well with FeCl, and a little electric current and salt water made washers from stainless shim stock last time I needed those.

Reply to
whit3rd

That is interesting. I could never get FeCl work on stainless steel. Mild steel, copper, brass, yes. Stainless steel, never. Do you have more details?

Reply to
Michael Koblic

I was using KPR photoresist, there was some adhesion difficulty (HNO3 acid wash before applying the resist?), and it etched rather slowly, but I was only going through 2 mils. The photoresist mal-adhesion just put a few pits into the field, didn't bother my application.

Reply to
whit3rd