Cutting fluid?

I have just purchased a new 7X12 metal cutting bandsaw, and I can't seem to find any good information about what cutting fluid or coolant to use. Roger

Reply to
Roger Paskell

I've been using Houghton HOcut 795cu water soluble

the cu suffix is an additive that inhibits staining on brass and copper

I don't know if you can buy less that 5 gal at a time, tho.

Reply to
Jon

If you're limited to what Ace Hardware sells, use pipe threading lubricant for steel and WD-40 for aluminum. I've found that aluminum will sometimes cut better dry depending on the length of the cut and alloy.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Guys,,,,I was hoping for a more definitive answer,,,synthetic,,,, natural,,,, Mobil, ,,,,Atlantic etc..... Roger

Reply to
Roger Paskell

The stick cutting lubes made by Lenox and DoAll are made for bandsaws. I would have mentioned them a day or two ago but I was sure someone else would. They're pretty standard for use in small commercial shops.

They don't run all over the place and make a mess. And they don't disintigrate your tires, which can happen when you use some types of metalcutting lubricants.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I use this stuff. I dilute it on the thinner end of the scale. Lasts a while.

John L. Weatherly

Ed sez: "The stick cutting lubes made by Lenox and DoAll are made for bandsaws. I would have mentioned them a day or two ago but I was sure someone else would. They're pretty standard for use in small commercial shops.

They don't run all over the place and make a mess. And they don't disintigrate your tires, which can happen when you use some types of metalcutting lubricants."

Now Ed, if they're so good and don't run all over the place, how could there be a problem of getting it on your garage floor to run over with your tires ?

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

I'm going to pretend you didn't ask that.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 21:31:03 -0700, "Roger Paskell" wrote: Greetings Roger, There are several types of water soluble coolant that are good for sawing. I assume you will be using such a small amount it doesn't really matter what you use. So here's a suggestion: Look for a saw blade supplier in your area. Just buy the cheapest stuff they have. Rust-Lick makes a good coolant that sells in 1 gallon containers. It will need to be diluted about 20 to 1 so 1 gallon lasts a long time. I personally use a pretty benign formulation in all my machines but it is only available starting in 5 gallon buckets. It's Blasocut 2000cf. But I used Ruct-Lick in my saw for years before I switched. Cheers, Eric

Reply to
etpm

and definately don't ask "why bother with cutting fluid anyway, it just runs right back together..."

Reply to
Bill Martin

You guys need something constructive to occupy your minds. d8-)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

If you're thinking about those brain exercises that are supposed to help memory and improve brain function, I don't know if these examples qualify...

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Does anyone remember the Brungarians? They were the bad guys in the Tom Swift Jr books. They always wore dark, ill-fitting suits...

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Have a run in with a DER have we?

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Ah, yes. Brungarians. OTOH, I *don't* recall Tom & Bud having to chase $#$$# Airworthiness Certificates every time they wanted to fly some bizzare contraption. Or burning the midnight oil writing documentation.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany