Cutting internal Keyway

I always heard shapers would do better cutting a keyway if you ground the tool so it cut when you pull it, and mount the tool so it cuts on the top, and have it cut on the return stroke. You have to do some thinking to get your cutting speed right, because of course the ram travels faster on the return stroke.

Ever since this thread started I've been trying to remember where I heard/read that. But I just can't quite remember. Nor do I have any links, pictures, descriptions or accounts whatever.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Be sure of course..to clamp the clapper so it doesnt move, when slotting.

Gunner

Hanging around in old oil field shops, Ive seen shapers running both ways. The issue is..if its a blind slot. Open on one end, or on no ends. When you push the chip load towards a blind end..chips tend to stack up. So lots of guys will drill/mill a hole at the end of the slot, to allow the chips to break off and have some place to go. In this case, using conventional shaping...ie using the down feed, yes..drawing the chip back towards the shaper works well indeed..as you are pulling the chip out of the slot. If the OP had a bar thick enough, and with good tool geometry..drawing would be a good thing but keep in mind..you are plunge cutting..and it requires a much different tool form as your back relief becomes an issue in a shaft. Inside slots..work ok either way. I slot forwards, simply because of the hassle of adjusting the return stroke speed..which is the cutting speed on a draw cut.

All of this is the reason shafts are generally milled and IDs are now mostly broached

Chuckle

Gunner

Gunner