Cutting off Stainless

First off, I hate abrasives for this. Makes it a three step job. Cut, grind, turn. If I don't grind the burr damages the turning tool. Maybe not every one, but often enough. Yes HSS is more tolerant, but I also have to resharpen it.

I still think a shear tool of some kind might work best for the smaller pieces, but I also make inserts from 1-1/2 inch stainless. I would just pre-order them cut to length (with some tolerance maybe), but of my three best suppliers for stainless:

  1. charges to much to cut.
  2. Seems to have quit offering cut to length.
  3. I never know when I will receive a cut length order. Last time I canceled after 2 months.

Currently I bandsaw on the horizontal one piece at a time slightly over length, and then face both ends to length. Since this part is used in batches of 9 or 11 the hands on time adds up. Particularly if I sell more than a couple of the part they go in. Its a profitable part, but I still begrudge the time.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

That 1 1/2 inch steel , is that wide or thick ? Have you considered plasma cutting ?

Reply to
Snag

It would take one heck of a plasma cutter. Its 1-1/2 inch round stainless. It would take more work to finish too I think.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

It would take one heck of a plasma cutter. Its 1-1/2 inch round stainless. It would take more work to finish too I think.

Jim Wilkins