Cutting off Stainless

First off, I hate abrasives for this. Makes it a three step job. Cut,
grind, turn. If I don't grind the burr damages the turning tool. Maybe
not every one, but often enough. Yes HSS is more tolerant, but I also
have to resharpen it.
I still think a shear tool of some kind might work best for the smaller
pieces, but I also make inserts from 1-1/2 inch stainless. I would just
pre-order them cut to length (with some tolerance maybe), but of my
three best suppliers for stainless:
1. charges to much to cut.
2. Seems to have quit offering cut to length.
3. I never know when I will receive a cut length order. Last time I
canceled after 2 months.
Currently I bandsaw on the horizontal one piece at a time slightly over
length, and then face both ends to length. Since this part is used in
batches of 9 or 11 the hands on time adds up. Particularly if I sell
more than a couple of the part they go in. Its a profitable part, but I
still begrudge the time.
Reply to
Bob La Londe
It would take one heck of a plasma cutter. Its 1-1/2 inch round stainless. It would take more work to finish too I think.
Reply to
Bob La Londe
It would take one heck of a plasma cutter. Its 1-1/2 inch round stainless. It would take more work to finish too I think. --------------

Jim Wilkins