Cutting Oil Alternatives - suggestions/sources?

I am just getting into some metalworking projects, and will be doing a substantial amount of drilling into steel (using a Delta drill press). I heard that it is best to use "cutting oil" to facilitate the cut and to prolong the life of the bits. However, a quick search on the web shows that prices start at about $14 per gallon. Are there any alternatives which will do the trick, but not be as costly? How about motor oil? please advise, thanks.

Reply to
308nato

A gallon of cutting oil will last you a good long time.

Not as good, and not much cheaper.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Do NOT use motor oil. That would be worse than nothing.

Go to home desperate and purchase the smallest quantity of cutting oil that they sell for cutting pipe threads. You want the plumbing deparment.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Fry up some bacon, eat it, pour off the grease and mix about half and half with medium spirits (paint thinner, diesel, kerosene, etc.). And the best part is, if you use an "odorless" spirit, you'll smell bacon grease each and every time you cut! Yummm!

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

I have a small Delta, and when I need coolant I put it near the sink (in a makeshift plastic dam) and run a small line with water to the cutting area. Probably a really bad idea, but for my needs it works rather well.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

More or less on topic...A friend of mine and I were driving through some a slightly more rural area North of my house a bit ago. We drove by a homestead where the house was seriously damaged by a recent fire. She started laughing shortly thereafter, not because of any attitude about the folks there, but, my automatic comment of "Thank GOD the shop is ok!". Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt