Ryobi 12-inch Drill Press

I saw one at Home Depot for $170. Anyone have one? What's it like?

Reply to
John Curtiss

woodworker88

I bought a 10" version several years ago. The 2 table slots are oriented front to rear, and there is a center hole in the square table, and it has a gutter around the perimeter. I use an angle vise instead of tilting the table (the zero setting of the table was checked with a square). I've drilled a lotta metal with it, and suspect I would've have a difficult time getting along without it, or having to use a smaller one.

A cheap 3" low profile vise (about $4 from a Homier sale) with side slots stays on the table most of the time, with a 3/8" bolt or two to hold it in place after I've adjusted it's table position. I made some threaded blocks for the bottom side of the table, for the vise bolts to thread into. These blocks allow the vise bolts to be tightened/loosened by only about 1/2 turn of the bolt head, using only one hand (no fitting a wrench underneath the table).

It's overall quality is not as bad as some stuff from China, but there are obvious signs of low quality. I installed a Rohm chuck because I don't like any of the drill chucks from China that I've gotten with machines or accessories. I don't like the backlash in the spindle drive spline, but haven't determined what to do about correcting that. I clean and oil the column regularly, and I avoid turning the table lock bolt any further than it needs to be tightened, so as not to stretch the cast iron (considering where it came from).

The frame and handles are kinda weak for use as a press (but it's not a press), but using sharp cuting tools will prevent excess downward pressure. Dull tools will most likely result in broken handles, just because drills aren't intended to broach holes. I would also expect the handles to break if they're not wrench-tightened into the (cast iron) hub.

There aren't any low speeds that are good for using big cutting tools, so I just go gently on the feed at the lowest speed, and use an adequate amount of cutting lube. I drill pilot holes that are about the same size as the web section of the larger size, and this method generally puts the larger hole where it was intended to be.

I fabricated a hub for the spindle pulley (and cut a 3" hole in the top cover), to allow a temporary crank handle to be used for tapping holes in small parts in a vise. This involves gripping taps in the replacement chuck, but it works fairly well. The quill return spring can be released by removing the side nuts and removing the slotted spring cover, to allow the quill to float (well, except for gravity).

I find that having a dedicated worklight will usually prevent mis-placed holes.

WB metalwork> I saw one at Home Depot for $170. Anyone have one? What's it like?

Reply to
Wild Bill

I had one of those cheap Taiwanese 8 inch benchtop drillpresses. Quite a few times I cut thru 1/2" brass with a 1" cheapo hole saw. I even used that thing as a mill a couple of times in brass and aluminum. Lots of noise and chatter but decent results and never did the chuck loosen or fall off. I never should have sold that one.

Reply to
daniel peterman

Thanks, WW88! I bought one last night and set it up and used it today. Very easy to set up and works great so far.

Reply to
John Curtiss

Many thanks, guys! I have notice some of the things you have mentioned already. Right after I assembled everything, the chuck fell off -- I had pressed it in as hard as I could. Presseed again - will see how long it takes to fall again. I plan to use this quite a bit in the next 30 days and if not happy, back it goes to Home Depot.

Reply to
John Curtiss