Cutting teeth in a ratchet wheel

The wheel is 36" dia., .3125" thick and has a 14" hole in the center and six equidistant mounting holes .375 dia. 1" from center hole. There needs to be 118 teeth that are 3/8" deep and have a leg of the triangular tooth that is a radian and the other leg is 60 degrees.

I see doing them with a hacksaw and a file after blued and laid out by hand. (maybe a power saw) Any better ideas? I can't visualize mounting it on the BP.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

What do you have to work with? I can see a rotary table in vertical orientation setup at one end of the BP facing outward with the wheel mounted to it hanging down past the front of the BP table. BP ram moved out to get the spindle center in line with the wheel. Custom grind slotting saw on an arbor. Index the rotary table, do the cut with the X, index, etc. You would of course have to measure everything to see if it would really fit that way, and presumably make a backer mounting plate to attach your wheel with 14" hole onto a presumably smaller than 14" RT.

Reply to
Pete C.

Sucks to be you today... (:

I'm lazy and would start thinking about some sort of CNC conversion that would eliminate this monster.

OTOH, the guys that sharpen sawmill blades might have some ideas for you...

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Send it out for laser or water-jet cutting.

Reply to
anorton

Hire a machinist :-)

Reply to
F.K.

This is when a shaper works wonders.

Reply to
Steve W.

And of course the wheel would be hung over the front of the table..or even the back and parallel with the X axis

That means you have to have about 19-20" of space between the top of the table and the quill. Most BPs will stretch that far. If not..put in a riser block..or hang the holder over the front of the table and downwards and then tilt the head , because the disk might hit the Y axis ways if one tried to do this straight up and down.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Ayup..that would indeed be the easiest, and it can be finished with a file.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Before I used a backsaw, I would use a angle grinder. And after getting it roughed out, switch to a flap disk instead of using a file.

You might also consider roughing it out with an angle grinder and then profiling a grinding wheel on a bench grinder to clean up the teeth.

Or use a Thompson table.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Get one of these:

Makes the job less labor intensive. Close enough for tom to go and get it and save on the shipping.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal

Hmmm, I do have a hydraulic broach...I'd have to make a cutting tool but it could be supported on the bottom in recirculating bearings. I wonder if it could do the whole tooth in 8" of the broach tool.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Ain't that cheating?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

for more information regarding this topic visit:

sheroz sani

You should be able to 3/8" deep, worth a try. Even if you have to do two cuts its faster than grinding, filing, sawing, etc. First cut do the 60 degree, second cut the radian.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

You should be able to 3/8" deep, worth a try. Even if you have to do two cuts its faster than grinding, filing, sawing, etc. First cut do the 60 degree, second cut the radian.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

You should be able to 3/8" deep, worth a try. Even if you have to do two cuts its faster than grinding, filing, sawing, etc. First cut do the 60 degree, second cut the radian.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

That would be good too. Particularly if he made his own form tools

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Not really. I think I'd hire a welder if I was building a bridge.

Actually, since you posted the original message on the 4th and today is the 5th, one would assume that the job would be finished already :-)

Reply to
F.K.

If I had to do this job with what I own I'd use my index to drill a circle of dowel pin holes and then make a bandsaw jig that located the blank from each dowel pin and the center hole.

I'd clamp the index and a bench drill press to a long solid surface to drill the holes, then jack up a length of straight stock on a hydraulic table to bandsaw table height and guide the center and index dowel pins along its edge.

I think I could jig up up my surface grinder to support and locate the center and finish the radial edges with a dish wheel. I would measure the spacing between all the pin holes and use a spreadsheet to calculate the offsets to correct for their variations with the Y table feed. Pin n's proper position is at SumOfAll * n/118 from the starting pin, which is the one that makes all corrections a positive number. It's actual position is the sum of the spaces before it. Each space is the measurement across the pins minus the diameter of one, which the spreadsheet does for you. I'd double-check SumOfAll with a tape measure.

If the errors are small the pivot could be attached to and move with the table. If they are large the pivot holder should be clamped to the frame so it stays in line with the grinding wheel edges and table travel axis. Then the pivot would have to be able to slide, or bend if it was a rod rising from the floor.

Good Luck with it jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I see that and it's a good, simple solution. Thankz!

Reply to
Tom Gardner