Cutting teeth in a ratchet wheel

The wheel is 36" dia., .3125" thick and has a 14" hole in the center and six equidistant mounting holes .375 dia. 1" from center hole. There
needs to be 118 teeth that are 3/8" deep and have a leg of the triangular tooth that is a radian and the other leg is 60 degrees.
I see doing them with a hacksaw and a file after blued and laid out by hand. (maybe a power saw) Any better ideas? I can't visualize mounting it on the BP.
Tom Gardner wrote:

What do you have to work with? I can see a rotary table in vertical orientation setup at one end of the BP facing outward with the wheel mounted to it hanging down past the front of the BP table. BP ram moved out to get the spindle center in line with the wheel. Custom grind slotting saw on an arbor. Index the rotary table, do the cut with the X, index, etc. You would of course have to measure everything to see if it would really fit that way, and presumably make a backer mounting plate to attach your wheel with 14" hole onto a presumably smaller than 14" RT.

And of course the wheel would be hung over the front of the table..or even the back and parallel with the X axis
That means you have to have about 19-20" of space between the top of the table and the quill. Most BPs will stretch that far. If not..put in a riser block..or hang the holder over the front of the table and downwards and then tilt the head , because the disk might hit the Y axis ways if one tried to do this straight up and down.
Gunner
Tom Gardner wrote:

Sucks to be you today... (:
I'm lazy and would start thinking about some sort of CNC conversion that would eliminate this monster.
OTOH, the guys that sharpen sawmill blades might have some ideas for you...

Send it out for laser or water-jet cutting.
On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 17:23:08 -0800, "anorton"

Ayup..that would indeed be the easiest, and it can be finished with a file.
Gunner

Get one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERTICAL-SHAPER-or-SLOTTER-key-way-cutter-keyseater-metal-NEWTON-USA-/350661627445?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51a50fce35
Makes the job less labor intensive. Close enough for tom to go and get it and save on the shipping.
Best Regards Tom.
On 12/4/2012 11:07 PM, Howard Beal wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERTICAL-SHAPER-or-SLOTTER-key-way-cutter-keyseater-metal-NEWTON-USA-/350661627445?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51a50fce35

Hmmm, I do have a hydraulic broach...I'd have to make a cutting tool but it could be supported on the bottom in recirculating bearings. I wonder if it could do the whole tooth in 8" of the broach tool.

You should be able to 3/8" deep, worth a try. Even if you have to do two cuts its faster than grinding, filing, sawing, etc. First cut do the 60 degree, second cut the radian.
Best Regards Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

You should be able to 3/8" deep, worth a try. Even if you have to do two cuts its faster than grinding, filing, sawing, etc. First cut do the 60 degree, second cut the radian.
Best Regards Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

You should be able to 3/8" deep, worth a try. Even if you have to do two cuts its faster than grinding, filing, sawing, etc. First cut do the 60 degree, second cut the radian.
Best Regards Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

That would be good too. Particularly if he made his own form tools
Gunner

Hire a machinist :-)
On 12/4/2012 8:40 PM, F.K. wrote:

Ain't that cheating?

Not really. I think I'd hire a welder if I was building a bridge.
Actually, since you posted the original message on the 4th and today is the 5th, one would assume that the job would be finished already :-)
On 12/5/2012 7:24 AM, F.K. wrote:

I have a LOT to do on this machine, the ratchet wheel is near the end, I'm just thinking ahead. There is still a small chance I can get a used one cheap. It fits a standard machine that makes different products according to the number of teeth, each tooth corresponds to a position on an X-Y table. The machine makes wooden block wire brushes, I have 16 of these machines, think 2-ton sewing machine. This one will make a 6x19 row, the extra teeth are for resetting to the first position. I already have a machine to make this but I need to double production so I'm duplicating all that is involved in the set-up which involves table, holders cams and ratchet wheel. About three man-months of work.
Tom Gardner wrote:

I can imagine placing a plate on the table of the mill, with some pins that locate the center hole of the wheel. Then, you cut the first tooth on the mill, and then rotate and clamp the wheel, and a pin or some other locating device indexes the first tooth. The alignment of this index pin is pretty critical, but maybe with careful measurement, you can set it up so you don't have an accumulated error when you get to the last tooth. The plate would hang out the front of the table a bit so the back of the wheel would clear the mill's column.
Jon

Well depending on accuracy you can probably get a guy to rough cut the teeth with a 4" or 6" hand grinder, maybe even finish file it. What you need is an apprentice program. Get some cheap help.
Or maybe an illegal alien. Some of them Mexicans can do nice work :-)
On 12/5/2012 10:01 PM, F.K. wrote:

We have a large Mexican population that has a lot of illegals. I went to their church and posted "Help-Wanted" on the bulletin board. They won't do anything for less than $15/hr.

On the other hand, how much is your time worth?
--
Cheers,
John B.