Cutting teeth in a ratchet wheel

I have a LOT to do on this machine, the ratchet wheel is near the end, I'm just thinking ahead. There is still a small chance I can get a used one cheap. It fits a standard machine that makes different products according to the number of teeth, each tooth corresponds to a position on an X-Y table. The machine makes wooden block wire brushes, I have 16 of these machines, think 2-ton sewing machine. This one will make a

6x19 row, the extra teeth are for resetting to the first position. I already have a machine to make this but I need to double production so I'm duplicating all that is involved in the set-up which involves table, holders cams and ratchet wheel. About three man-months of work.
Reply to
Tom Gardner

I can imagine placing a plate on the table of the mill, with some pins that locate the center hole of the wheel. Then, you cut the first tooth on the mill, and then rotate and clamp the wheel, and a pin or some other locating device indexes the first tooth. The alignment of this index pin is pretty critical, but maybe with careful measurement, you can set it up so you don't have an accumulated error when you get to the last tooth. The plate would hang out the front of the table a bit so the back of the wheel would clear the mill's column.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Well depending on accuracy you can probably get a guy to rough cut the teeth with a 4" or 6" hand grinder, maybe even finish file it. What you need is an apprentice program. Get some cheap help.

Or maybe an illegal alien. Some of them Mexicans can do nice work :-)

Reply to
F.K.

For under $50 you can have this cut out wither as laser or a water jet... I just got two jobs done at two different shops, about the same size. One was water jetted, and one was lasered. Both jobs under $50. The laser shop was two disks and that included the material..... Seriously, you cannot afford to do this job yourself! Quit screwing around and make brushes. The laser shops will not compete with you making brushes.

Reply to
Cross-Slide

you making brushes.

Maybe he can pay them off in brushes? :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It's all a question of time and volume. Building a bridge complete that you expect to put live traffic on, and you have a day job you could be making more money at - you hire a welder just to make it happen faster, better, and be absolutely sure it's done right and safe. Not cheating.

Welding on one non-structural bracket for a sign, well shucks, that you can handle.

Seconded! If the company that made the machine is still around and not charging usurious prices, just ORDER ONE, Dammit! It will be a whole lot cheaper-faster-better than screwing around reinventing the wheel with a chisel and a file. It's manufacturing equipment, not a hand-fitted over-under shotgun.

Or if it's a design problem with the OEM part and you wear the teeth out way before their time - Make a scan and a CAD file of your old wheels. Use a better grade of tool steel and have them Laser or Water-jet cut, then off for heat treating and tempering to toughen the metal up.

One you have a wheel that lasts forever, offer to tell them what they're doing wrong - perhaps they'll listen. If they're really grateful, you might get the Karma paid back - and if not, you've solved your ongoing maintenance problem.

And same for the pattern setting pins and other bits that wear out too fast - between hardening the pins and coming up with a better way to keep them lubed (perhaps a row of little brush oilers that hits the pins once each revolution, and gets a metered squirt every hour...) you can stop the wear there too.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)

I am not sure but I think the company that made the machine is The Ohio Brush Company. If so they are still around.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

We have a large Mexican population that has a lot of illegals. I went to their church and posted "Help-Wanted" on the bulletin board. They won't do anything for less than $15/hr.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

you making brushes.

I DO have to be reminded of that quite often!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

you making brushes.

Don't laugh! They are GREAT currency or tips!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

They want $800 and the owner's a good friend (too much)

Tom Gardner

No, that's me. Carlson made 12 of my machines but I've modified them heavily.

We made all the other machines here, for making wire wheels, end brushes, knot brushes, etc. plus we make all the parts and the dies to make the parts. We DO have a very capable machine shop. (lots of toys!)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

with you making brushes.

I wasn't laughing. I was just betting that you already did that. Are they marked, "Supplied by the courtesy of Ohio Brush" or something similar? Then you might be able to write them off as advertising expenses.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On the other hand, how much is your time worth?

Reply to
John B.

Time to lease a waterjet for that shop...

With the hinky economy I wonder if any of the waterjet suppliers is willing to provide a machine in your shop on a charge per hour of cut time basis. Other industries are doing similar "capacity on demand" where they give you a machine and charge you for use, or you pay for a base use amount and get charged extra over that amount.

Reply to
Pete C.

My industry standard pay scale isn't that much. Some of my people make more, some less. A new, legal employee with skills doesn't make that. The Mexican population gets more because they are used to under-the-table part-time work.

I think I'll send it out. I can do it, plenty of good ideas here, but as I was reminded...to make products, not play in the shop!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

with you making brushes.

Took a box to a supplier; he said his Christmas shopping was all done now.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

At least Cleveland still has wonderful shops that can do anything and most are no more than 10 minutes away...and they ARE hungry.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Did you hear that Michigan may sign a 'Right to work' law, within a few weeks?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

What "Industry Standard", I thought you were the Boss... You know, the guy who sits there and grabs off all the profits :-)

The old apprentice programs did two things. It trained your next crop of workers and got you cheap help, all at the same time.

Reply to
John B.